• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mono Hot Springs,CA.

Polarbear

Polarbear
Now, this is as about as remote a place in the lower 48, as perhaps many IB Riders have found in past IBRallies:). Its a huge bonus(every semiannual IBRally) for those IBers that find it. I rode it yesterday, one last time before snow hits this weekend. A true GSers byway into the very high Sierra/Neveda range east of Clovis,CA where I live. Lots of bumpy offroading way up there and I'm blessed to have it out my back door a short day ride loop. Not bad for a guy just coming out of shoulder surgery two weeks ago. I tested the shoulder indeed:). Sore, yes but riding my GSA again in short order from some major shoulder reconstruct:). Good surgeon!

Attachments

• Trip to Florence 001.jpg
    Trip to Florence 001.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 168
I Googled that place, and it looks fascinating.

You could stop for a while to soak that tender shoulder. :)

Last edited:
Good indeed:)

Snow falls here this weekend and by Christmas, many feet will be accumulating at this place and by Winters end maybe 10+feet, for our Summer AG water supply:). Those higher peaks in the back get 20+ feet. Pacific Crest is visable here. California still has some spots where folks are FEW:) and this is one of'em. Its about 75 miles straight into the Sierra's, not that far maybe but very,very remote and a bad single track road, with ice showing already, to Mono Hot Springs. Yes, the resort is closed as of late October, but the small river that runs through it has hot spots to soak:). Randy, healing well....:thumb:usa

hey Randy - i'm looking at this area in Google Earth and am wondering... is Kaiser Pass road the road you're talking about?

that looks *awesome!*

ian

Randy's correct Mono has been a part of the Iron Butt Rally but not every time.

What Iron Butt Rally riders can count on is at least one or two bonus stops just like this.

In other words a crappy road in that will guarantee to take much longer than anticipated. They will often make it time restricted, i.e. be there in a two hour window and check in with a volunteer or make it daylight only. Mono was time restricted in 07.

Even on a fully loaded GS they are a challenge yet each location is scouted by someone on a Gold Wing, LT or other larger street bikes.

Part of why I flogged my RTP on ebay was the fact that I bulit it as a single purpose bike (LD Rallies) but kept breaking it with my "riding style".

In the 07 IBR I hit a pothole on Prince Edward Island that broke my fuel cell mounts, last spring I hit a pothole while scouting locations for the MM1K and drove the bottom of the shock through the swingarm. BMW said I was the first to do that and gave me a new swingarm but my faith in the bike (as a good tool for me) was shot so off to Ebay it went.

Going off topic the 1150 GSA I rode in the 05 IBR was not the best LD platform. It was a little underpowered when set up for rally use (big screen etc) which is why I got all excited about the RTP.

I've come a full circle to a '10 GSA which I'd be more than happy to ride in the IBR bone stock save for lighting.

Glad to hear your shoulder is on the mend, your post on Mono brought back some memories.

THX Rob and Visian:)

Yes Visian its Kaiser Pass alright to 9200' at the pass going into MHS. MHS itself is 6500' elevation. The ROAD:). The roughest piece of single track, jeep byway and actually paved , but so full of potholes and loose gravel. A GS is the perfect ride for this and a faired bike will lose fairing parts, from the vibration of the road. Its doable on a KLT, but so much slower pace(almost walk faster) for the bigger bikes to be safe. Find Huntington Lake on Goggle and you have the turnoff for the KaiserPass road and 16 miles in is MHS. The road continues another 8+ miles past MHS to Florence Lake, my camp(Jackass Meadows)and is such a wonderful adventure into the High Sierra's. I camp there every year or so and ride it more. Trout fishing up there is awesome. Daylight HIGHLY recommended if you're not familiar with this place, as it would be a "life threatening" byway at dark! One missed curve at 10mph and you're a gonner, no return from these mistakes. I'd like to talk to an IBR guy/gal that has been there(for the 25000 bonus points I think) for an opinion and did actually meet a KLT1200 rider two rallies back that was attemting to find it, as we met out on the road near my house. He was asking directions and IN the big rally event. I remember his bike well, because I had the same bike back then. This has got to be one of those sucker bets(bonus legs) in the rally...Happy Trails, Randy:usa

GSA here too:)

Mine is the '07 GSA and I would find it(maybe) too harsh a bike for comfort for all those 1000m days strung together. I've done many 1000milers but no two back to back, not to mention 10+ days of them. I love the GSA and find it really near bombproof, because mine gets used quite hard offroad. At 58, I'm in pretty good shape but the IB Rally is beyond me anymore, without some very serious workouts again and mental prep. Best to all those that do it, Randy:usa

Back