• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100LT Windshield Suggestions

NikonJeff

I have a 97 K1100LT and the coating is coming off the stock BMW windshield. Has anyone successfully polished a BLW (Lexan) Windshield?

Any suggestions on a replacement windshield for a K1100LT?

Thanks!

The Gold Wingers swear by a product called, I believe, "Plexus" or something like that. Seems it is sold by Tulsa, among others.

Also, Tulsa is the big name producer of after market wind shields for the Wingers. I know you are asking about a K11, but the stuff used to polish it would be the same. And as high-tech as the beemers are, I don't think the windshield would know the difference. :brow

I'll see if I can locate a link and come back via edit and post it.

Found it. I don't know how to do pretty links, but you can find their windshield care kits at: http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/tulsaacc.html

Last edited:
K11LT Windshield suggestions

I gave up on factory replacement windshields after the second one delaminated. This time I bought a Parabellum, which so far seems fine. There is very little optical distortion, no matter what part you look through. www.parabellum.com

Plexus is the stuff used for windshields in aircraft. It claims to minimize discoloration. It is not cheap, but is available in a lot of bike shops. www.plexusplasticcleaner.com

Jon Miller

Windshield Cleaner/Scratch Remover...Nexus

The product you are looking for is called "Nexus"
The product is available at most motor cycle shops and has the numbers 1,2,or 3 depending on the grade of scratch removal with 3 being for deep scratches, 1 for just normal cleaning and 2 for mild scratches. I tried #3 on a scratch that looked like it was caused by a razor blade (deep and thin) on a new short windshield I bought and it didnt take it out. ( So I sent it back) But I have used #1 a lot and really love it and i'm sure for minor scratches the others (2,3) would work fine. :brow

My 1996 K1100LT with 86K still has the stock windshield. The owners manual warns against using anything other than water to clean the windshield. I normally only use a wet rag to clean the bugs off and then clean the spots off with Slip Streamer Motorcycle cleaner and polish. I've used this polish on my R1100RTs Parabellum and the stock LT windshield for over 6 years and both are in great shape. This product reduces and eliminates the fine scratches.

http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Misc/misc.html

NOVUS 1,2,3 not NEXUS windshield cleaner..

I made a mistake, the cleaner i use is NOVUS...
not nexus. Not sure about the stock windshield though, i have heard of them discoloring so be careful. I have the aftermarket lower one on mine now.
Probably right should just use warm water and maybe a soft bug cloth to remove bugs and stuff.:dunno

Back