• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crash Bars for 2013 RT

kfdief

Getting a new RT soon.

I believe in trying to learn from past mistakes. I've managed to drop every bike
I've owned at least once (so far at about 1-2 mph at least). I guess I'm a slow learner.

Any thoughts about the best products out there to save me if I do that again?

Thanks for the advice in advance..

Klaus Diefenbach

2004 1150 GS, soon 2013 RT

Hi Klaus:

I use the Wunderlich engine and case guards:

RT12.jpg

RT13.jpg

Your slow speed drops might be because you are using the front brake with the handlbars turned a little either direction. Stay off the front brake below about 5 mph when doing parking lot maneuvers. Rear brake only unless the bars are square and then you can apply front brake.

Hi Klaus:

I use the Wunderlich engine and case guards:

RT12.jpg

RT13.jpg

Your slow speed drops might be because you are using the front brake with the handlbars turned a little either direction. Stay off the front brake below about 5 mph when doing parking lot maneuvers. Rear brake only unless the bars are square and then you can apply front brake.

1+

Doug, Rick.

Why do you have the BMW Valve Cover protector in addition to the crash bars? Won't one of the two do the
job?

Thanks, Klaus

Crash bar suggestion

Have Touratech crash bars for my GS and realized after I went down at 5mph that the attachment points were not substantial enough due to the way they mount and the extra bracket used at the lower mounting point is to me a weak point. I realize that something has to give when you go down but both my upper and lower mounting points tweaked enough that I had to replace (Touratech was kind enough to sell me the left side only at a discount). I suggest looking carefully at HOW they mount - in retrospect the Touratech bars slip over the engine mounts which may not be as strong if there are bars that are attached using the engine mount bolts to secure.

Back