• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adding electrical accessories to the r1100s.

plexiform

Anyone know the best way to access the battery terminals to attach heated clothing wires? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

Anyone know the best way to access the battery terminals to attach heated clothing wires? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

I will assume from your question that you have not accessed the battery before. If you have, the following text is for naught.:brow

It is not as hard as it appears. The first time you take off the two body panels will take twice as long as it will after that. And the tank is just held on by two screws/bolts. The worst part is access to the body panel screws located on the back side of each panel behind where the BMW badge is located. Even that is easy after you have done it a couple of times.

Before you remove the two tank screws on the side there is one screw on the intake to remove, then and remove the flexible intake tube from the front intake and you are there.

Then just lift the rear of the tank and put a small block of wood/etc. under it to hold it up.

I'm fairly certain the S design team started with a battery and then built a bike around it and never thought to ask the BMW maintenance division what they thought. :D

Thanks for the info. That sucks! I'm starting to like the r100rs more again. Anyone know how many accessories can be run through a single fused sae wire connected to the battery?

What I mean is if there is one SAE cord connected to the battery and I want to use splitters and run all my stuff (gloves, garmin, iPhone charger, vest) through this one battery connection, is it safe?

Anyone know how many accessories can be run through a single fused sae wire connected to the battery?

What I mean is if there is one SAE cord connected to the battery and I want to use splitters and run all my stuff (gloves, garmin, iPhone charger, vest) through this one battery connection, is it safe?

if a) each wire is large enough to carry the current of the device(s) being fed by that wire, and b) each device is being fed through a fuse that is sized correctly for the device(s) in the fuse's circuit, then it'll be safe. It's OK to combine devices loads, so that one fuse protects more than one device. In your example, the gloves and the vest are the big power consumers, and plenty of us use a single SAE cord to power them. You should do fine.

If the total draw of the various devices plus the bike's "house load" (the amount of current required to run the FI system and ignition and lights) is less than the alternator output at the rpms you normally use, then the alternator can charge the battery even with everything plugged in and turned on.

Back