• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Huge major complaint!!!!

Emoto

That's right! I AM COMPLAINING!!!

About what, you ask? Well... um... not about anything in particular. I mean, I had a great time at the rally, met a lot of cool people, loved the bands.

No, I just want to complain in general. Seems to be the thing to do around here. :D

Bob

Be Happy

For the past year, I have thoroughly enjoyed the MOA magazine and the forum. I could not have been happier at the rally, my first national (or should it be call International Rally. OK, my winning a bike would have been sweet.

However, I have become disenchanted with a portion of the membership that have since taken to complain about the rally, the lay me down GS motoryclist, the volunteers, the vendors and whatever else annoyed them.

The organizers, volunteers, the seminar presenters and vendors as well as the local Burlingtonites did an excellent job of accommodating us. The weekend was a bargain and lots of fun, as well as educational. I appreciated what everyone did to make it a successful event. I know that many hours, unpaid hours of planning and work went into making the weekend successful. I wish everyone would "enjoy the moment" rather than dwell on their peeves. There is always room for constructive criticism, but the vindictiveness that has surfaced is not deserved by the people who worked hard and did their best to have this event succeed.

I would like to thank everyone involved in making the Burlington weekend a reality. I think that more postive rally comments would ensure that this annual event continues.

Just wait until winter

Just wait until these folks have nothing to complain about. Right now they are happy because they can complain. Later in the year, especially when snow covers their rides right up to their top case, there will be little to complan about.

Then they will start to complain because there is nothing to BMW about.

Bitch
Moan
Whine

a good rant

Nice! I also love a good rant. . . . but I've got nothing to complain about. It was my first rally and I loved it. I completely appreciate all the fine efforts on the part of MOA personnel, volunteers, vendors, Vermonters and fellow attendees. I'm looking forward to next year (when maybe I'll park my bike upside down :nyah )

119204 said:
For the past year, I have thoroughly enjoyed the MOA magazine and the forum. I could not have been happier at the rally, my first national (or should it be call International Rally. OK, my winning a bike would have been sweet.

However, I have become disenchanted with a portion of the membership that have since taken to complain about the rally, the lay me down GS motoryclist, the volunteers, the vendors and whatever else annoyed them.

The organizers, volunteers, the seminar presenters and vendors as well as the local Burlingtonites did an excellent job of accommodating us. The weekend was a bargain and lots of fun, as well as educational. I appreciated what everyone did to make it a successful event. I know that many hours, unpaid hours of planning and work went into making the weekend successful. I wish everyone would "enjoy the moment" rather than dwell on their peeves. There is always room for constructive criticism, but the vindictiveness that has surfaced is not deserved by the people who worked hard and did their best to have this event succeed.

I would like to thank everyone involved in making the Burlington weekend a reality. I think that more postive rally comments would ensure that this annual event continues.

You make several good points. Something *everyone* should remember is that these events (both the 'MOA International and virtually every local BMW rally) are all put on by volunteers. These folks take many, many hours our of their lives and riding time so others have some place to go and something to do when they get there. The only pay they get is one someone says, "Thanks!".

There is always room - and ears - for truely constructive criticism, but too much of the feed back becomes just complaining for it's own sake. Great waste of bandwidth IMHO. If you think something can be done better - and it likely can - then volunteer and be part of the solution, but also don't be shy about saying thanks - that is almost always deserved as well.

Now you have gone and done it Mr. Feeler!

How is a guy like me suppose to learn anything from complaints and rants about when to duck as a volunteer if people like Rob, Sue, Vince, the Head Sausage, and you keep responding in timely and thoughtful ways that show you are listening and taking feedback to heart? One only needs to turn on the television or look at any newspaper to see this type of behavior is aberrant and dysfunctional when compared to any other organization, company or government they report on. When will we have the freedom to rant on this forum without the distracting intrusion of interested leadership?

Way to go! You taken away my opportunity to be the voice or reason and turned me into another ranter with your humble respectful opinions. Yah, way to go.
:lurk

M1ka said:
...When will we have the freedom to rant on this forum without the distracting intrusion of interested leadership?

Ooooh, I like that! But, embarrassing me in public like this is going to cost you a beer. :buds

My only complaint is I didn't get to go! (Damn Coast Guard and their boats!) :) Hopefully I'll make it to Wisconsin.
Chris

Having volunteered at a smaller rally for the last 3 years I have a lot of respect for the planners of any rally where so many folks show up. I have learned to take everything in stride and if there was an issue it has always been resolved either by myself, if possible, or bythe rally organizers. There always will be those who are 'professional' at being whiners. :violin Remember, it is a rally folks, not brainsurgery!! Quit yer bitchin'.. :D

Complaining is as natural as having a good time, without complaints we cant get better at what we do, it makes us humble.

Cant have the good without the bad.

If we don't complain then the ones who do wrong or make a mistake would never learn from it, it gives the ones who do wrong the ability to say its ok cuz they know no one will complain.

Sorry cant have one without the other.
Keeps everyone on their toes, if my customers didn't complain I would not know what I am doing wrong, I want them to complain if they have a complaint or even if they don't have a valid complaint, helps me provide the best business for them.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.​
--Theodore Roosevelt​

DarrylRi said:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.​
--Theodore Roosevelt​

Well said.

DarrylRi said:
--Theodore Roosevelt​

Bully for you!

ballen262 said:
Complaining is as natural as having a good time, without complaints we cant get better at what we do, it makes us humble.

Cant have the good without the bad.

If we don't complain then the ones who do wrong or make a mistake would never learn from it, it gives the ones who do wrong the ability to say its ok cuz they know no one will complain.

Sorry cant have one without the other.
Keeps everyone on their toes, if my customers didn't complain I would not know what I am doing wrong, I want them to complain if they have a complaint or even if they don't have a valid complaint, helps me provide the best business for them.

From Webster: Complain
1 : to express grief, pain, or discontent <complaining about the weather>
2 : to make a formal accusation or charge

I would say in the context of this thread what we're looking for is feedback: constructive criticism intended not to make the squeeking wheel lounder, :gerg but to find the oil can. :thumb

Emoto said:
That's right! I AM COMPLAINING!!!

About what, you ask? Well... um... not about anything in particular. I mean, I had a great time at the rally, met a lot of cool people, loved the bands.

No, I just want to complain in general. Seems to be the thing to do around here. :D

Bob

I am with you.. I think I want to complain about the outstanding day of riding I had today along the Delaware River. It was beautiful. No I mean it sucked. I think I'm going to resign my ride. Bowling seems like a nice alternative

Statdawg said:
Hey what color GS ? I waved to two of them today along the Delaware river, Stroudsburg and north to Port Jervis. I was on a GS Adv silver 02. Nice day for bowling !

Mandarin with motolights.. I started in port jervis and went north to Deposit, then back to Roscoe and then for some fishin at the Neversink Gorge

Statdawg said:
I was south. However,I like that north of Port Jervis area. Callicoon is a breakfast stop about three times a year. The town is about 1.5-2 hour drive from home. Nice roads in Wayne County, Pa.. We have to complain on this thread.

Next trip to callicoon or the delaware area give me a shout. I probably won't come. I think there's tons of traffic and gravel roads.. I hate that

I will say that the whole process of a rally and the comments being posted has made me a little curious, are there just more of us on the forum, are we all crankier, or is it something else...

In terms of constructive critiscm, my favorite comment is one that Tom Clancy made

"No change ever came from someone satisfied with the status quo"

However to poke without offering solutions makes it difficult to know what to improve.

PS Don't yell at me, I am on vacation....

Back