• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just a FYI on Batteries

Geoff

It was time to retire my Westco after about 6 yrs so I decided to check out what Batteries + (no affiliation) had in the offing. Much to my surprise, they now have AGM batteries in 2 styles designed to fit the actual dimensions of our beloved Airheads. While not cheap, ($140.00 out the door) you can get a Duracell (Made in America) AGM battery that sits perfectly in the factory holder. This is for my R100RT, however I noticed that most other models were listed. You'll have to do your own research. Happy Hunting:20150611_205317.jpg20150611_205334.jpg

Were you able to drop it in from the top, or did you have to remove the air cleaner and install it from the front?

Were you able to drop it in from the top, or did you have to remove the air cleaner and install it from the front?

Went right in but it was tight. Scraped a little plastic from the sides, but once in, it was a perfect fit.

Thing about it is the terminals are reversed and the terminals themselves are 90 degrees from normal, i.e. the bolt goes in front to back rather than side to side.

800420.png

Thing about it is the terminals are reversed and the terminals themselves are 90 degrees from normal, i.e. the bolt goes in front to back rather than side to side.

View attachment 50365

I didn't find that to be much of an issue Chris. The battery comes with a plastic spacer if you need to raise it up about an inch. I didn't use it, but I do use some brass l-shaped connectors pointed forward and down. You can attach all your accessory wires to to the front, and still get a nice solid connection with your large cables and connectors at the top with plenty of clearance all around. Geoff

View attachment 50365
The terminals on this battery also have threaded holes on their tops. Still not side-to-side, but there's enough flexibility to get the job done. At worst, a couple small L-plates and you have side-to-side connections. I just installed one in my son's R100M, and turned the terminals 90 degrees. Exact fit in the tray -- held tightly enough that it didn't need the rubber hold-down straps (but still installed them anyway).

Back