• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Light smaller touring bike

miairhead

BMW are too expensive sometimes, OKAY almost all the time. Very good bike, but always a permium cost.
Just came for the MC show in Chicago, and a Honda CTX700 really caught my eye. Only been out 3 days, and it at the show. Low, nice setup with fairing, the bags are too small that were on the bike, but still almost everything else is nice. Also an Auto trans if you want it.
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700.aspx

I think the fairing is better cover the the F 800 GT for all weather riding. Heated grips, come standard I think, and ABS on this model.

Judging from the differences in seating position(s) alone, the CTX and the F800GT are in completely different niches, and unlikely to be equally considered by the same buyer.

I also notice Honda hasn't published the weight for this model. How can we be sure this even qualifies as a "Light smaller touring bike"?

Still, Honda has definitely invested heavily in this new 700 parallel twin, and at first glance, they might find some interested buyers in some of their different interpretations of it (NCX, etc.). Remains to be seen, I suppose, but at least it marks a more refreshing approach than radical performance "uber alles", IMO.

JP

The forward pegs kill my interest in this version of the 700. I do agree that Honda is coming out with some nice middleweights though.

ÔÇ£The CTX700N has a claimed curb weight of 478 pounds (500 pounds for DCT/ABS model); curb weight for the CTX700 is TBDÔÇØ

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2014-honda-ctx700-and-ctx700n-first-look.htm/

Thanks for that. At the 500 lb mark, that's not too bad, but starting to get into middleweight territory.

I'd have to say, I'm not terribly interested in replacing my F650GS twin anytime soon, but I am interested in test riding some of the 700 Hondas when the program comes through our neck of the woods. At this stage of my riding career, I'm no longer looking for massive (size or power) motorcycling, as much as ease of use and simplicity. The onboard helmet storage of he NCX is a big factor in overall usability, IMO, and the mileage figures are impressive. The 650 won't last forever, right? :laugh

JP

The F800GT will put any of those 700 Hondas in the weeds- way more power - not sure they're really comparable machines.

The point of the new Hondas is affordabilty to attract younger riders- for both the machine and insurance rates- way less than a 600cc crotch rocket. With a bit of new technology and design and a nod to older style ergos. The approach includes the new 250cc models as well as the to be released 550cc models and the 1000cc that is homage to their old 750cc 4 cyl that revolutionized motorcycles and is widely considered the most important motorcycle in history. If you look at any of these with the eyes of a very experienced rider who has discerning tastes, you're very likely to find aomething that doesn't match your tastes. But you're not the target market, either. (Okay, yes they will get some old folks buying some of these, especially the 1000cc one, but young guys in their 30s are the real target)

That Guzzi is a modernized version of older models with Heron motor- no speed demon for sure (low on power) but a sweet looker and decent handler. Any of the versions (Stone, Racer, etc) would be a fun utility ride. Wouldn't mind getting a test ride on the new 1400 either but I doubt I'd want to own its weight and cruiser attributes...(Don't really want a 6 cyl BMW either)

I test rode a honda NT700 before I got my now F800ST , it nice, BUT the HONDA needed a 6 speed transmission. Also a little under power. Maybe Honda will improve on this with the CTX700. I think the F 8oo GT will be better, we will see in about a year or so. ;):german

I have not had a chance to throw a leg over one. A neighbor has a NC700X. I have briefly talked with her about it.
- Good build quality from what I have noticed
- claims decent mileage.

Thought the 700 series of bikes from Honda have six speeds but I could be wrong. They strike me as new wave UJM bikes that unlike their original counterparts are under powered, don't lend themselves to modifications and boring as all get out.

Weight is always a big point in these discussions. Reducing the size of the engine from liter+ to 3/4 liter or less does not mean you are going to save weight. A sport/GT/full touring fairing like many are asking for, a set of bags on a bike comfortable for two means chassis and body work that are roughly equivalent no matter the size of the engine. In the early 80s I had a 750/5spd trans Honda fitted with a Shoei GP2 full fairing and some other things for touring. IIRC the bike probably pushed 500lbs. Good weather protection and a blast to ride. Thank Shoei for the former and aftermarket parts that boosted power output for the latter.

Boring may not be bad in a touring bike after all they are the station wagons of the motorcycle world. Good mileage is a really good thing. I don't want to come off as a Squid but under powered is a deal breaker for me. Honda's 700 series is all of those.

We have a pair of NT700's, an NC700X and a V7 Classic.

I like the small block 750 engine on the Guzzi. I don't need a 1200cc bike to haul my carcass across the country, and the baby Guzzis are a kick to ride. The NT's are nice, do wish they were six speed, though. typical Honda reliability. The NC is a great bike. Engine is half of a Honda Fit engine. Danged thing gets 75+ mpg and will out perform our F650GS's. (2007).

Ctx700n

The beauty of the bike is awesome. It is quite the package IMHO. Low seat, full fairing, fantastic MPGs, low center of gravity, and a relatively lite weight MC. At 65 years of age, it may be something I would be interested in. The price for the most expensive model, the one with ABS and the DCT, is just under 9,000 dollars. That is pretty hard to beat. I am in the process of buying a used F650GS, but if the negotiations fall apart, I will happily wait and get the CTX700N for the same amount of money plus a warranty. The CTX700N won't be available until late Spring and then who knows how long it will take to get delivery. I like BMWs, but I am not married to the brand.

This looks like a nice bike to have in the stable for running around town or shorter touring jaunts.

http://www.motoguzzi-canada.ca/motorcycles/v7-stone.html

2 bmw friends of mine each bought a V-7 guzzi, both with those thoughts in mind. both bikes were sold in less than 6 months. major complaint? incredibly underpowered, even for a 700cc bike (yes, they knew what they were getting into before the purchase, neither realized exactly how anemic they were).

It certainly is a looker! I'm gonna run by our Honda store and take a closer look. I don't think I'm currently in the market for a smaller bike (07 RT currently) but I think Honda is hitting a huge market need with this line. My dad is 60ish and not as confident as he once was...can't help but think this might be a great option for him.

They've had the NT700 in Europe for a few years, known as the Deuville(maybe Deville). Europeans have dubbed it the Dullville. I wonder if the CT will have the same low horse power as the NT.

New RIDER magazine article tests the auto shift "X" version against BMW super scoot for commuter machine use & gives the nod to Honda based on ease of maneuverability.

John Burns has a comaparo of the F700GS, NC700X, Versys, and V-Strom 650 which was published in the January Cycle World. It's very informative, and includes much trademark Burnsie humour.

Last air-cooled Guzzis?

Is this the last year for air cooled Guzzi?

I hope not. The big block engine, for one, is a relic that is still competent in its intended uses and I'd hate to see it go away -- like an engandered species going extinct. Would be nice to have air or water options within the line, of course, and for sure a quieter valve train in the air-cooled versions.

I'm just getting a 1998 EV11 that I bought "dead" running, and it's a barrel of fun.

Back