• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Carb question for R60/6

JoeDabbs

I bought my R60/6 new, and have never removed the carbs. Question: Do the carbs unscrew off of the cylinder, or do they just pull off? I tried to pull on off, but it seemed stuck and I didn't want to go any further.

I think that they just pull off, after loosening the collar, and twisting back and forth to "break" the seal.

However, go to Max's BMW to see the factory microfisch which shows the schematic parts breakdown. Pick parts, pick your model, and then find the picture in the left side, and then see the individual parts for that pic on the right pane.

I don't think the pictures are that detailed to show threads, but I'll put some brake fluid or penetrating oil to break the seal and see if they'll move. Most repair manuals just say, "remove carbs".

It's as Jimmy says. Remove the clamps on either side, remove the air tube, and wiggle the carb free.

Loosen the two clamps by the collar on the air-tube and slide the collar up, away from the carb. Loosen the clamp on the air-tube at the top and swing the air tube away from the carb and off the bike. Loosen the clamp between the carb and the cylinder head and remove the carb. You may have to spray some silicone lube or WD-40 on any or all of these connections to assist in getting them to begin moving.

Attachments

• R60_Carb.jpg
    R60_Carb.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 41
Twist and pull after you remove the plastic intake "horns" and collars, as has been suggested. They should come off.
Careful what you spray on them. The gasket that holds the carbs to the heads is made of some sort of fiber and will probably start disintegrating.

Back