• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LT Ride to Deals Gap

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Long time RT owner, this year I picked up a 2009 LT with 2900 miles loaded. So my wife and I packed it and headed to Deals Gap and just got back today. 7 days, 6 nights 2045 miles covered 9 states. Going was NY, PA, MD, WV, VA & TN. Coming home TN, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, PA & NY. Time on the motorcycle was about 36 hours, $175 in fuel cost. Cheapest gas was in SC $3.89, most expensive $4.29 in WV (all premium gas). Lowest tempreture riding 37F, highest 82F. There were 2 days, one going and one coming both in PA, low temps and rain really were a surprise and Olympia riding suits provided wind and water protection but without insulation we were caught off guard, the heated seats and grips took the edge off but still a tough 100 miles. In motel parking lot we could see our breath.

Deals Gap is a neat road and fun ride, but riding that road you pretty much have to focus on just riding, setting up for every turn and watching for overtaking and oncoming traffic, its worth it.

The LT ran non stop and never hiccupped once. Longest leg was 196 miles that I never touched the brakes or put my feet down. No oil consumption at all, coolant level never went down. The only problems were one of the screws that hold the windscreen to the travel arm backed all the way out, luckily the chrome cover held it but the wind screen was rattling. Had to stop and get an allen wrench to tighten, I checked them all and they all needed a quarter turn. On a mountain road in TN, I hit a bump and the left mirror fell off, the check cord caught it.

My wife said the passenger seat and backrest was pretty good, she said she sits a little closer to me compared to the RT. I think a Russell Day Long Saddle will be ordered at the end of the season. Kathy's bag liners worked well in and out of motels. I use the right saddle bag for tools, spare parts and a few extras, Left bag is my stuff, Top case is wifes. I would also plan to get Kathy's bag that attaches to the luggage rack soon.

Can't think of other information right now

Sure hope you got to ride other great roads in the area that are superior to Deal's. It's a beautiful area.

What a lucky guy you are to have someone to share all that trip threw at you! :heart Sounds like you'll be planning your next adventure soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Voni
sMiling

I have been up that way many times and always love it.

I too have a wife that enjoys the riding, heat, cold, rain, and all of the great memories that come with that. (we always take the heated gear though)

Thanks for sharing,
Danny

Back