• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Northern Illiniois Tech Day!

derost

beemerFROG
Hi everyone! I would like to invite all those in the area to my house for a tech day Saturday, October 9. I live in Woodstock, IL and will be happy to even throw down some BBQ and drinks. This is open to Airheads and Oilheads as I have one of each. I will be working on the Oilhead myself, but if anyone wants to work on the Airhead... COOL! It is a '76 R90/6 that is taken down to frame as I am in the process of converting it to a cafe racer, complete with a Ducati super-sport fairing.

The Tech Stuff (I am NOT a mechanic but try to do all I can on my bike)
- I need to do all of the "Every 12K mile" stuff to my '00 R1100RT as well as replace the alternator belt.
- I have never done a valve adjustment myself so anyone with history on that would be great.
- Haynes manual in one hand, tools in another... Let's go at it!

For those who would like to work on their own bikes, I have 2 garage stalls, plus I will put up 2 - 10 x 10 tents in the driveway.

I would like to get a heads up on those attending so that I can plan for enough food.

Please respond here, PM me, or email me douglasrost@gmail.com

Thanks everyone in advance, I hope this will be a lot of fun.

Sounds like fun, but I plan on being at Falling Leaf that weekend.

There ya go again Randy, harshin' my buzz. :stick

Hey DE I might take a hop out to Wooden Stick just to take a boo at ya'all.
No airhead or oilhead but I can be incredibly irritating.
Sure you want to do this?
:rofl

Actually a bud of mine is doing a similar thing with this as a template:
353348294_5brWe-X2.jpg

But I cannot wait to see how his turns out as he is some kind of genius when it comes to heirloom BMW's.

Thanks for everyone that has PM'd me about this so far, looks like we are even going to have a guy drive down from Canada! At what point does this transform from a Tech Day to a Rally??? :groovy

Thanks for everyone that has PM'd me about this so far, looks like we are even going to have a guy drive down from Canada! At what point does this transform from a Tech Day to a Rally??? :groovy

Doug,

That depends on how much tent space and portapottys you have!! Sounds like a great excuse to take a ride.

:dance

I am due for an alternator belt replacement, too. I would like to see how it is done.

I have told everyone that from 10am on riders are welcome. As far as the alternator belt, we can either do mine or yours, doesn't matter to me. I'll PM you with my address.

Is full tupperware removal and reinstallation on the menu? I'm hesitant to tackle that on my own and would like to see how it's done.

Is full tupperware removal and reinstallation on the menu? I'm hesitant to tackle that on my own and would like to see how it's done.

It seems intimidating, but it's not at all. I have had my bike naked more times than I can count, and would be happy to tear down one side to show you... it's really no big deal and if you plan on doing any wiring at all, it's a must. Since I will need to change the alternator belt, I can just about guarantee there will be some stripping going on.

Come on by, I'll PM you with the address.

I'm hoping to make it to Falling Leaf that weekend, but if that doesn't pan out, I'll be heading your direction. Will let you know for sure as the date approaches.

Thanks!

It seems intimidating, but it's not at all. I have had my bike naked more times than I can count, and would be happy to tear down one side to show you... it's really no big deal and if you plan on doing any wiring at all, it's a must. Since I will need to change the alternator belt, I can just about guarantee there will be some stripping going on.

Come on by, I'll PM you with the address.

Hello Doug. This sounds like a great learning experience for getting to better know my new to me 85 R80RT (which resides in MI). Any chance you'd allow a KLT rider attend?:ear

Thanks,
Jer

Still on? I will not be ready to ride but a great reason to get out of the house!:whistle

Of course it's still on!

Can't ride? You did read the fine print didn't you.... "All showing up in a cage will be subject to a $45.00 cover charge........ plus parking!" :bliss

Hello Doug. This sounds like a great learning experience for getting to better know my new to me 85 R80RT (which resides in MI). Any chance you'd allow a KLT rider attend?:ear

Thanks,
Jer

A "K" bike... you mean one of those fangled 4 cylinder things? Well..... I guess if you promise to only bring half the engine it would be ok. :doh

PM sent with address, come on by...

A "K" bike... you mean one of those fangled 4 cylinder things? Well..... I guess if you promise to only bring half the engine it would be ok. :doh

PM sent with address, come on by...

I may have to do a swap and leave the K bike in MI and bring the Airhead back to show off the little girl. ;)

Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the invite,
Jer

wonder if they allow cheese heads? might be a good time for my son and I to go for a ride if its nice. (above 0 and not snowing)

wonder if they allow cheese heads? might be a good time for my son and I to go for a ride if its nice. (above 0 and not snowing)

Sure "cheese-heads" are allowed... just remember to keep that silly looking green and yellow jersey at home!

Get ready for some school'in tonight, son!!!! :dance:dance:dance:dance

Go BEARS!

Back