• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch cable replacement: Hassle or not?

I have to replace the clutch cable on my 1985 K100RS.

I know I have to take the gas tank off but as far as the rest of it goes, is it fairly straight forward to replace this?

:dunno

Thanks!

Yes, its pretty straightforward once the gas tank is off. Are you still on the original cable?

Done! Simple (once you know how!)

Just finished the cable install.

Pretty straighforward with the exception of trying to get the little rubber boot throught the middle of the bike. I used a pencil to help push it through the tough places.

Bike works fine...just like Willie Nelson, we're "On the road again.":D

the pivot on the clutch lever assembly wore on my '85 and allowed some play between the lever and the bar. I wound up breaking 3 cables in just over several months, right where the cable meets the lever. (sorry, can't remember exactly which part of the assembly was worn).

If it happens again, you can just wrap the bottom of the old cable TIGHTLY to the top of the new one and pull it right up through. Wrapping the boot will solve that problem too. Faster than removing the tank.

If your old one broke right where the cable meets the brass thingy, you might want to be ready with a new assembly, a new cable, and some black tape! good luck

Back