• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'12 RT Valve Adjustment Inquiry

liv2ride

Hello fellow owners/enthusiasts.

Yesterday I conducted the 12k mile service. When checking valve clearance I noted that all valves loosened since the 6k mile service, though some appeared to loosen quite a bit. Below you will find the comparison.

6k Miles
LEFT INTAKE
Upper: .18
Lower: .18

LEFT EXHAUST
Upper: .35
Lower: .35

RIGHT INTAKE
Upper: .20
Lower: .20

RIGHT EXHAUST
Upper: .36
Lower: .36

12k Miles
LEFT INTAKE
Upper: .24
Lower: .22

LEFT EXHAUST
Upper: .39
Lower: .41

RIGHT INTAKE
Upper: .22
Lower: .21

RIGHT EXHAUST
Upper: .38
Lower: .39

Although only two are out of spec on the loose side I will adjust all, with larger shims, to bring more toward center of range.

This being my first BMW I am looking for input on whether this appears normal. How much impact would engine temp have on these measurements? I ask because the 6k was conducted in a closed garage where the 12k was conducted in a car port where there was a steady breeze and cooler temp ~10 degrees Fahrenheit, cooler.

Thanks in advance.

Scot

Last edited:
Similar results

The motor temperature is supposed to be cold for the valve measurement. If there were a 10 degree F difference it shouldn't be an issue. There is a Excel (xlsx) file labeled Custom_shim_ spreadsheet. It is very helpful in determining your needs with regards to shim sizes, etc. Well worth looking at. Are you aware of it? For some reason I can't attach it but I am sure it is archived. If you cannot find it let me know.

Your valve clearances are a bit looser than mine but the overall results are similar. I had to adjust the throttle side upper exhaust as it went out to .406 mm at 18K. When the next valve needs adjustment I'll do the full custom shim adjustment.

The motor temperature is supposed to be cold for the valve measurement. If there were a 10 degree F difference it shouldn't be an issue. There is a Excel (xlsx) file labeled Custom_shim_ spreadsheet. It is very helpful in determining your needs with regards to shim sizes, etc. Well worth looking at. Are you aware of it? For some reason I can't attach it but I am sure it is archived. If you cannot find it let me know.

Your valve clearances are a bit looser than mine but the overall results are similar. I had to adjust the throttle side upper exhaust as it went out to .406 mm at 18K. When the next valve needs adjustment I'll do the full custom shim adjustment.

Thanks for the feedback. No, I am not aware of a "custom" shim spreadsheet; you can e-mail it to me if it cannot be attached to the forum. I'll send my email address via PM.

My plan is to obtain, already on order, the next largest size shim to bring all eight a little tighter.

Back