• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's up with MOA members nowdays?? Ripped off again...

To the gentleman who just ripped me off for the R60/6-R90S owners manual..you're a pig.
This is the third time in 2 months I've been ripped-off for payment from "MOA" members.
I don't like this forum an I don't use it ...but I feel I should say something at this point...what's happen to this organization?? Don't ask for names because i'm NOT going to reveal them..right now..but if you owe me money..maybe you should pay it..i kept my end of the deal..no stand up an act like men an pay for what you got.

What's the point?

You're anonymous. You won't name the person responsible.

How is this supposed to benefit anyone?

To the gentleman who just ripped me off for the R60/6-R90S owners manual..you're a pig.
This is the third time in 2 months I've been ripped-off for payment from "MOA" members.
I don't like this forum an I don't use it ...but I feel I should say something at this point...what's happen to this organization?? Don't ask for names because i'm NOT going to reveal them..right now..but if you owe me money..maybe you should pay it..i kept my end of the deal..no stand up an act like men an pay for what you got.

Why would you blame the entire organization for the actions of a few? Please take time out this afternoon and examine your thought process. This may prove to be beneficial to you in the future. Best of luck!

Wow, this raises so many questions...

You have a problem with an individual, but you are ranting about the MOA membership as a whole? WE did not rip you off!

If you are not going to reveal the name of the culprit(s), can you at least provide a few details of the transactions including the (non)payment methods? As it stands, your complaint has no useful information for anyone.

If this is your third rip-off, maybe you need to verify payment before shipping? :doh

Apparently, you ARE using the forum. If you don't like it, you are welcome and encouraged to go elsewhere.

Thanks for the warning. It's a shame that we can't depend on the assumed integrity of our members. I suggest receipt of payment before shipment for your future transactions.

why not tell who the looser is?? I know how you feel after Dale Lehnert from minnapolis area ripped me off with a trashed rear drive he claimed was good and usable,Tom Cutter confermed the condition when I was going to have Tom refurbish it before I used it.These snakes have no morals.I hope I don't see that guy at the national when it's in minapolis next year because someone will have to restrain me from hurting this POS lowlife MF.:fight

Folks, let's not drag out all of your past bad deals and rack them over the coals here. Not good netiquette.

The original poster should be working with his own tools to resolve these situations. The Flea Market has always been an adjunct of the forum, even when it was temporarily inside the forum. They are separate items with the only connection being that the people in both are MOA members.

It says at the very top of the Flea Market:

"The BMW MOA and BMW Owners News are in no way responsible for the validity, quality, integrity or accuracy of items posted/described in the Flea Market. The Flea Market is reserved for the sale of items between BMW MOA members. Any purchases/transactions made through the Flea Market are solely the responsibility of the buyer and seller. Please beware of any possible scams, and deals that appear too good to be true."

No doubt in my mind that like Ivory soap, most MOA members are pure of heart & 99.9 % OK but there is a reason that PayPal can exist as a place to help ensure payment w/o the hassles of the OP. I personally have no fascinations about the .1 % that will put the screws to you, no matter what club you/they belong too. As a matter of fact I've never had a problem on ADV Flea Mkt dealings either. I belong to the "trust people club" (why live in a world of distrust?) AND!!! the "club of common sense" and I use PayPal all the time, in spite of it being the money suction device that it is! I cuss the fees & love the protection it gives to transactions in todays web world spending. Sadly I've had to make a few claims too. At times over a phone call I can decide to forgo PayPal but mostly use it. Fact remains that if you deal "out there" very much the "point one percenters" will show up.:)

Thinking about a totally different subject thread elsewhere, I am glad that we have the MOA. A "social club".:lurk

What you sold was not up to the quality you advertised. Now tell the hole story.

Call the guy, talk is the next best thing.

Naive

I am guilty of sending money orders to members prior to their shipping the item I am purchasing. I have operated this way for over 15 years without incident. I have received every item without incident. However, I admit that each time I place the money order in an envelope, I do feel that I am too trusting merely because it is a fellow member.

I am guilty of sending money orders to members prior to their shipping the item I am purchasing. I have operated this way for over 15 years without incident. I have received every item without incident. However, I admit that each time I place the money order in an envelope, I do feel that I am too trusting merely because it is a fellow member.
FWIW, Money Orders are not the foolproof form of payment that they had formerly been. Paypal is the way to stay safer. If your "trusting", do it as a gift & save the other end of the deal some money.

and I use PayPal all the time, in spite of it being the money suction device that it is! I cuss the fees & love the protection it gives

FYI - If you have Paypal linked to a bank account, you can do direct payments with no fees to either party.

FWIW, Money Orders are not the foolproof form of payment that they had formerly been. Paypal is the way to stay safer. If your "trusting", do it as a gift & save the other end of the deal some money.

Postal Money Orders can be verified by your bank at time of deposit, western union can not.

I've sold things on several different forums and standard protocol is the item ships after payment is received. Either Paypal or USPS money order.

I never ship until I receive money.

Change those paypal passwords frequently........After my last Paypal security issue, the Paypal customer rep (unofficially) suggested that account passwords should be changed every month.

Feedback/Ratings System?

Feedback systems in buy/sell forums DO help, IMO. Look at eBay, with their feedback/ratings system. Folks can give negative feedback, receivers of such can respond, and all posts related to feedback can be viewed by others. I've seen feedback systems in place on other buy/sell forums as well- Audiogon, for example, comes to mind.

I admit I don't use the Flea Market enough to know who sells there, or who the buyers are. It might not be completely practical for use in a place where maybe a seller or buyer has a only a one time transaction... BUT such systems, when they ARE in place, DO work. Feedback systems protect everyone involved without a doubt.

IS this a useful and practical concept for us?
Mods? Anyone?

IS this a useful and practical concept for us?
Mods? Anyone?

A number of features for the Flea Market are being worked. I don't believe this is one of them. The Flea Market is a utility that has been added on to the side of the Flea Market. It has been written by a separate company. I can add this feature to the list to see what it might take to include with the Flea Market.

Bottom line, though, is that it is caveat emptor and there's a warning going in for the user. Persumably, the people who use the FM are good BMW folks. I guess there can be exceptions to everyone.

Back