• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

installing manual cam chain tensioner

toshibgood

HI Guys

I'm installing an APE tensioner and have a question. Instructions say to rotate the motor while adjusting. How did you turn the motor? I'm thinking of removing the plugs and rotating the rear wheel. Anybody have a better way?

Thanks

John

Assuming you are starting with a new chain and sprocket set and a new set of guides, you can set the plunger depth to 23.25mm and install the APE tensioner. That is 23.25mm from the bottom of the plunger, where it contacts the chain guide, to where it exits the base of the of the APE assembly. You are measuring how far the silver part sticks out.

Make sure to install the o ring and tighten the screws evenly as you go. You should get some resistance.

At that point you can start the bike and make an adjustment per the instructions.

manual tensioner

Hi limecreek

adjusting while it is running was the instructions from APE when I put one on my Police kawasaki but the instructions for the one for my BMW (actually it came without any instructions and tells you to go to their website to get the instructions) doesn't say anything about running the motor. Just to turn the motor while adjusting it and stop when you feel things inside contacting the adjuster and then back off 1/4 of a turn.:blush

I'm actually replacing a new upgrade tensioner that I recently installed (1,000 miles ago). The bike only has 14,000 miles on it and I did not change anything else other than add the jump guard and tensioner. It is not noisy or anything like that. I understand they did not recommend the tensioner change out after a certain mileage?

Thanks

John

John - if you've replaced the tensioner with the newer bmw unit and you are not getting any rattles at start-up, well, I'd leave the BMW unit in there and sell or send back the APE.

If you are more comfortable with the fixed APE unit and want to turn the motor over by hand while making an adjustment, you'll need to find the silver cap on the side of the of the clutch housing cover and remove it. You can see the silver cap in this picture.
139499590.jpg

You can put a wrench on the nut and rotate the engine by hand.
Cam_chain.jpg

cam chain tensioner

Thanks Limecreek I appreciate your help. I heard that even the new tensioner can jam once in a while and cause problems thus I went for the ape manual one. Maybe I misunderstood the situation?

I assume the rotation of the nut is clockwise.

Thanks again for all the help and effort you put out posting the pictures.

John

Back