• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cargo Trailer Info

B

BLACKHOOF

I'm looking for anecdotal reports from those of you have used a cargo type
trailer to enhance your rally experience. What brands worked well, what sized
trailers, weight, etc.... you get the picture. My new to me K1100LT is dying
to get hitched. The SO & I are anxious to began a new chapter in bringing it
all with us in order to avoid the dreaded Comfort Inn Complex. :wave

I'm like Blackhoof, looking for a cargo trailer to pull behind my 87 K100RT. I've already got the Reynolds hitch. I'm going to carry a Eureka Timberline 6 tent. I want to be able to stand up in my tent. So I need abox big enough to fit that in. May pull it to the Nat. this year and be in total comfort.

I have had several cargo trailers over the years. My opinion is that they are great. The people who say they would never pull a trailer are almost always people with no experience actually pulling one.

A properly set up and loaded trailer will NOT slow you down in the corners. You just need to ride smoothly. If your going to brake for a corner don't wait until you are in the corner. Plan ahead. For twisty roads that you are always accererating or slowing down I use a lower gear than I normally would to increase engine braking. Once into the corner you can go just as fast as if you didn't have the trailer on.

I have pulled trailers with a K100RT and now with a K1100LT. Before pulling a trailer throw your stock shock away and put on a top quality shock. Ohlins, Wilbers, or one that is fully adjustable. Suspension set up is a must. Let me repeat that, suspension set up is a must!

Below is a picture of the last three trailers I have had. The Uni-go was a great handling rig in the corners. You honestly couldn't tell it was back there. It does require very good slow speed bike handling skills though since you are balancing the bike and the trailer. Make a mistake and you drop both.

My favorite and current trailer is the Bushtec. It is expensive and worth every penny. It has a cooler on the front which in hot weather is worth its wait in gold. The cargo capacity is also about 3 times the amount of the Uni-go. With the Bushtec we don't pack much more than we did with the Uni-go, but we also don't have to cram stuff in as tight as possible.

The trailer just makes the rally experience so much better. You can take the little things that you want without packing the bike like the Clampetts. Kermit chairs, sun shade, extra shoes, cold weather gear, hot weather gear take it all.

PEOPLE WITHOUT A TRAILER STOP READING NOW!!!

Don't tell anyone else and give away my secret. But at rallies I show up with the cooler full of cold beer. Then the rest of the weekend the guys we camp with buy all the beer. What they don't know is that the beer I brought is usually the beer that was left over from the last rally. :thumb

68941335-M.jpg

68941350-M.jpg

51565633-M.jpg

+1 for the Bushtec if you want top of the line. I've been around a lot of them but don't own one. If I ever buy a manufactured trailer it will probably be the Turbo +2.

Also, I know Bushtec sells and installs a hitch for the K bikes. There may be others who offer hitches that I don't know about.

Meanwhile, my cargo trailer is a homegrown arrangement built from a Harbor Freight kit. It tracks true, pulls effortlessly, and I have a total of $460 and some change in it.

My camping stuff is none the wiser. :thumb

Great stuff folks! :thumb

I knew there were some good stories here. The pic with the large red
trailer & bicycle made me laugh out loud. I found an older used Bushtec
that I looked at & was very impressed with the engineering involved in
it's manufacture. All I need now is the $$$.

Thanks for your input.

Back