• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200GSA Creaking from brakes?

RHedman

BigRig
My 07 GS ADV. has creaking sound when applying the brakes, it is coming from the front brake area. Only while the bike is in motion. The dealer thinks it is the pads and rotors breaking in? It is not a squeal but a tinney (is that a word) metallic creaky sound. The bike has 2000 miles on it and has made this noise since day 1.

Maybe it needs washed? :banghead Sorry what was I thinking.

Thanks for any input. Happy Riding. Roy

I think I had a little of that during the first couple of thousand miles on my 07 GS. It went away, I've got over 10k on it now and I can still stop, so maybe that is it. On the other hand, if it continues, I'd get a second opinion (and not mine... :) )

Good Luck!

I just turned 10k on mine, and I haven't hear a peep out of the brakes. I second getting a second opinion.

Mine does it @ 1,500 miles.

BMWs makes strange noises. If one stops there is usually one getting ready to start. I really only start worrying now when they are quiet.

Ticking, tapping, squeaking, squeeling, grinding, chattering, wooshing, are all a part of the experience.

I used to have a R90/6 that made a turkey gobble noise when it was warm, that drove me crazy.

You could fix it the way many cruiser riders do and just put loud pipes on it. Viola!

Thanks for the input. I think I'll leave it alone for now, it doesn't effect braking. Maybe at next service, I'll get it looked at again, if it is still making the noise.

Thanks again. :wave

05 brakes quiet

No noise here other than the usual "whizzy" sounds. Does the bike make any noise when engine is off, just rolling? With ignition on on positon, any noise?

Somthing is rubbing a definitely is not normal. You been riding dirt with that GS? Maybe dirt?

Red

Good info Red.

The bike does not make the noise with key OFF engine off. It will make the noise with key ON engine off, the bike does have to be rolling. Does the ABS module or relay buzz (chatter) with light braking? The noise sounds like it is coming from under the gas tank area. Maybe this is normal? My R1150RS made all kinds of noise from the ABS on that bike. I didn't notice this noise on a 07 R1200GS I've ridden since buying my bike. I didn't notice this noise on my ADV until on the ride home. Maybe it was there all along but I didn't here it due the excitement of a new bike.

Thanks again, Roy

Back