• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wet shaft that's supposed to be dry...Yikes

RIK

So after being in my garage getting degreased, going over electrics, more cleaning, replacing missing parts, replacing old parts, getting ready to fire up...I come home today and see oil under the rear boot...hmm...its just been sitting here on center stand and moving in and out of garage...pull boot back and what appears to be every last drop of gear oil, gearbox? runs out...now, I know I checked the level in December before I bought her, and I did not put but 200 miles on before winter took hold...check level and it is full...so I guess PO had problem and I was too star struck to check, and all this time of cleaning and such, no oil till now. I guess I'm looking at output shaft seal bad? What do I need as far as special tools? What should I be aware to look out for that might make work go smooth? And please, Airheads near Pitttsburgh that might be able to lend expertise, PM me.
Thanks

Last edited:
By rear boot, do you mean the boot between the transmission and the driveshaft that covers the U joints???..........When you say the "check level and it is full".....WHAT is full? The transmission? The driveshaft housing? The rear end differential? Often the oil/fluid in the driveshaft can migrate up into the boot and when this leaks from around a tear in the boot it can cause a mess. Yes, the output seal on the transmission can let oil get past it. How much oil came out of the boot when you pulled it back? ...........Good luck........God bless.......Dennis

By rear boot, do you mean the boot between the transmission and the driveshaft that covers the U joints???..........When you say the "check level and it is full".....WHAT is full? The transmission? The driveshaft housing? The rear end differential? Often the oil/fluid in the driveshaft can migrate up into the boot and when this leaks from around a tear in the boot it can cause a mess. Yes, the output seal on the transmission can let oil get past it. How much oil came out of the boot when you pulled it back? ...........Good luck........God bless.......Dennis

did not explain well, so, pulled boot back at drive shaft to final drive, a pint or more gear oil ran out. checked level of oil in transmission, full.

i am guessing the output shaft seal because of amount of oil, cold it be something else.

again, any tips on performing replacement. any special tools needed? clymer shows everything removed from frame, can work be performed without removing transmission and disassembling?

wet drive shaft that is supposedto be dry

ahhhhhhhhh MY BAD.........need some NEW lenses here.........God bless.....Dennis

several years ago i purchased a 1993 R100R when i took the drive shaft out to lubricate it I found a previous owner who i never met or knew decided an oil bath lubrication would work fine and somehow or other that is what he or she did. I lubricated the splines in the normal manner and have happily rode about 50 K. perhaps your 1991 R100Gs had the same previous owner or a friend of theirs. Bob

did not explain well, so, pulled boot back at drive shaft to final drive, a pint or more gear oil ran out. checked level of oil in transmission, full.

i am guessing the output shaft seal because of amount of oil, cold it be something else.

again, any tips on performing replacement. any special tools needed? clymer shows everything removed from frame, can work be performed without removing transmission and disassembling?

if transmission is full (bike on c-stand, oil will just barely dribble out of the fill hole), and you've found a pint in the boot, then that runaway oil came out of the FD. check it's level (again, on c-stand, oil should just be at bottom of threads for filler plug) to confirm.

Oil In Boot . . . .

I had the same situation. I had an oil puddle on the converter and it smelled when hot. I replaced the seal on the front of the f/d. It took a special tool which I made. It took a very long breaker bar to loosen up the threaded retainer. I never had a BMW (42 years) that leaked. Now no leaks.
Campbell J Tellman II :thumb

1993 R100RT

Back