• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kryptonite Cable lock:uh-oh

brownie

Dear Beemerphiles............

Had a spooky event happen this past week.....

Used my Kryptonite 3000 Retractor Cable Lock at a coffee stop. Ran the 36" cable thru the sleeve of my Joe Rocket summer jacket and then thru the chin strap on my X-11.

Wonderful brunch at the Cardiac Franchise and then on my way....so I think.....

The %^**#$ cable would NOT release after putting my 4 digit pin into the lock!!

Tried several times, no luck....could not get to my tool box because of the way I locked the cable!!!!

A very pleasant gentleman came out to his MB 300 sedan, and I asked if there was a chance he had a wire cutter or pliers with him (fat chance for an MB!!) He opened his trunk, and it looked like Home Depot...power saw and all!!!! He lent me his vice-grips; and wacko my Chinese mad Kryptonite Lock cable was history!!!!!

Do NOT allow this to happen to you......I bought the product at a Gen-U-Whine BMW dealer who insisted it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I used it 3 months without incident, BUT I was very lucky to find help so quickly.

I now use my old simple cable with the funky chrome Master combo lock.......which I have used for 18 years.

Avoid the grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a similar experience. A Kryptonite bicycle lock securing my kid's bike to a bike rack refused to open. It was a fairly nice bike, and turned out to be (just) worth it to have the damn thing cut off by the local locksmith. He's a resourceful fellow, but was unable to get the lock to release. It was tough to cut; he used a carborundum blade.

Shep Brown said:
I now use my old simple cable with the funky chrome Master combo lock.......which I have used for 18 years.

Avoid the grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use cables, too (from Rider Wharehouse) and just lock them in the helmet lock clasp on my BMW. My helmet hangs from the right rear passenger foot peg with a short cable around the chin bar. My jacket goes on the seat with the long cable thru the sleeves.

MarkF

Yup. Locks are locks. My take on the whole thing is that locks just keep honest people honest, as seen by how easy you fixed yours. Howevere having had the same problem with a $10 Kmart special I now lock my stuff so that I can get to the tools.

At least it worked out well.

I wonder if AAA would cover that as being locked out?

If you really, really want to keep your stuff, lock it up with one of these. The Kryptonite NYC Chain Lock. Just a warning though, you DO NOT want to lose your key. I know for a fact that with power tools, proper blades and various shop tools that it takes 20 mins + to cut through one of these.

Attachments

• kr-nyc.gif
    kr-nyc.gif
    53.7 KB · Views: 448
Wasn't I said the fly... I was working pt time in a bike shop (one of several college jobs) a regular customer came in with one of these on the bike and he had lost the key(s). There was some reason that he wasn't willing to wait for replacement keys from Kryptonite, so out came Mr. Sawzall. 20+ minutes WITH the powertools is no joke. We went through several carbide(?) blades in the process.. That lock is the real deal.

Good News

As this thread dwindles, I am pleased to announce that the Kryptonite is willing to trade my old broken cable assy. for another product of theirs. No complaints about their customer satisfaction policy.........................Shep Brown

I had a Kryptonite failure too. It was the retractable kind but with a key - pictured below. The third time I used it, I turned the key and the whole lock cylinder twisted right out. I just returned it to the dealer and got my $ back. Too bad though - it was convenient. Now I just use a standard bike lock.

Attachments

• 1166.jpg
    1166.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 367
Back