• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

10+ GSA compared to RT?

klumbsh1

Yes, I know i need to take a test ride to really truly understand, however would like some opinions.

My specific question is how top heavy does the camhead GSA compare to the RT?

Currently have the RT and love it, however maybe finding it limiting as my interest continues to grow beyond the road.

Thanks!

A GSA is taller than a std RT and when full of fuel, a bit more top heavy but the biggest differences are the handling differences based on the wheels and weights distribution, etc.
Either is fine for touring on road. My RT is a bit of handful on softer off road stuff but OK on harder packed stuff at moderate speed.
I might add a GS to my set of bikes but it won't be a GSA- just the regular GS.

I have an RT and a GSA

I've had a 2002 RT-P since early 2007, and I added a 2012 GSA to the garage earlier this year.

I find the GSA is easier to maneuver at slow garage/parking lot speeds for two reasons:

1. the GSA handlebars turn way farther lock-to-lock than do RT bars. This makes for a much tighter turning radius.

2. at least in my case, I find the GSA to feel lighter and more nimble at all speeds. The RT feels more stable at speed, but the GSA feels more "flickable" at speed. The RT is a beast walking around the garage, gas station, etc.

It should be noted that my RT-P includes a 2nd battery and crash bars, but I doubt that equipment adds more weight to the single-seat RTP than would a passenger and luggage to a RT ridden two-up.

I don't think my GSA is particularly top-heavy - even when loaded for two-up and with a full tank of gas. 330 miles between fill-ups is fine with me!

I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam, and while I find the GSA tall compared to my RT-P, I don't find it too tall. I can still get the balls of both feet down at stops, and I can get my left foot all the way down flat while keeping my right foot on the rear brake lever, which is my usual custom when stopping at red lights, etc.

I owned a 2011 RT for 4 months and 4,000 miles, traded it in for a 2012 GS/A. The GS/A's riding position is far more comfortable for me and my backseater, it holds more stuff, rides more comfortably, handles better, and is quicker. The RT offers slightly better weather protection and cruise control.

The RT didn't excite me at all when I was riding it, even when I was tearing up a mountain road. The Adventure puts a smile on my face before I'm at the end of the driveway. And the Adventure will flat-out whip an RT on a winding road thanks to its lower gearing, higher ground clearance, and wider bars.

What's stunning is how much better the Adventure is as a straight-up road-going touring bike. Yeah, it sucks not having cruise, but I'd rather have the better ergos.

Running a 2010 camhead RT. My favorite bike for long tours and highway miles. That is with the Russell Day-Long and Suburban Machine lower pegs. Cruise control really makes steady cruising nice for my getting more arthritic hands. I've had a number of RT's so the ground handling I'm used to (though thank God no more power brakes).

For back road, dirt road going slow day, my Ural GearUp does the job (BMW's red headed step child ;)

Yes, I know i need to take a test ride to really truly understand, however would like some opinions.

My specific question is how top heavy does the camhead GSA compare to the RT?

Currently have the RT and love it, however maybe finding it limiting as my interest continues to grow beyond the road.

Thanks!

I have two camheads: a 2011 GS and a 2012 RT. Neither feel top heavy to me.
The GS feels a bit lighter while riding, feels quite a bit faster (gearing?), is way better on bumpy roads and handles better in the twisties.
The RT feels smoother, is more comfortable, and rides a lot lighter than it looks. It's also way much better for two-up.
I love them both. If I could only have one for two-up then it's the RT. If I could only have one for solo riding then I'd go with the GS. But since your interest is growing beyond the road, the GS seems like a no-brainer.

Back