• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Some help with a good AZ ride

S

steviewonder

I'm going to be taking a swing thru eastern AZ in late May on a circuitous route to Mt. Rushmore from Houston.

Not sure if we'll do this on the way up or the way back.

If we do it on the way up, we'll enter AZ on I-10 and exit either on I-40 or go northheast thru NM to I-40 west of Albuquerque. And the flip side if we do it on the way back.

No idea on the good rides. Just looking at a map, we're thinking about the following routes:

A) US70 from Lordsburg, NM up to Clifton, then north on US191 to Springerville where we would catch US60 northeast to Quemado and up to I-40.

time permitting:

B) US70 from Lordsburg to Globe, AZ, then north on US60 to AZ61 to St. John's and then north on US191 to I-40.

If you have other suggestions please post them. We just can't go much further west than that because of time considerations. Gotta be in SantaFe to meet up with some other riders for the treck to Rushmore and we have 2 1/2 days to travel the miles from Houston.

You've got to do US-191 (former AZ-666) from Clifton to Springerville. It's great! Look for the "Arrow Tree" on your left side... I can't remember exactly, but I think it's around MP 223.

You've got to do US-191 (former AZ-666) from Clifton to Springerville. It's great! Look for the "Arrow Tree" on your left side... I can't remember exactly, but I think it's around MP 223.

GREAT. Looks like I literally stumbled onto a great road.

OK ... I give up ... what is the "Arrow Tree" ???

You've got to look for it. You will know it when you see it.

Does it look anything like this?

:wave

From I-10, locate Silver City, New Mexico. From there, two superb options are available to Springerville, Arizona. The aforementioned route from Clifton to Alpine is one of the renowned bike roads and can be characterized by tight twisties most of the way. From Silver City, pick up US180 to Route 78 (Mule Creek) and follow it on to Clifton. Then N on former US666. This route takes you through an active copper mining area where you are riding on the rim of the open pit. Watch out for desert bighorn sheep. The Arrow Tree, IIRC, is on the east side of the road.

OR, from Silver City, simply stay on US180, N to Alpine and on to Springerville. Lots of curves, but, more open sweepers than tight stuff. This route will stay at a lower elevation than the Clifton/Alpine route. Take the short side trip to the town of Mogollon; its worth it. If you need to stretch those cramped legs, the Catwalk, near Glenwood, is a superb side trip. If you eventually are returning home via the same route, both options complete "The Loop".

Western history abounds on either route. Many familiar names of western lore haunted these areas. If that is of interest, check with some of the local bookstores or museums in various towns enroute.

In Alpine, Bear Wallow is a fairly decent restaurant. In Springeville, try Booga Red's.

Afterthought: by all means consider the side trip from Silver City to Gila Cliff Dwellings; tis worth the time.

Back