• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally location suggestion

gsjoyride

How about a rally on the west coast, a rally on the east coast and one half way between? And alternating each?

This would make it possible for the westerners to show up easily to the west coast rally or a mid-country one.

A mid-country rally easy for the west or east coasters and lastly, if the rally was on the east coast, the easterners and the mid-westerners would be able to make it ....

How much easier could this be??

it does sound simple.

you might enjoy reading this thread, where you will find that there are very stong and emotional opinions on all sides of the issue.

there already is a theory under discussion that says we should pick several locations and rotate between them. some like this idea and some do not.

personally, and as one of the people who searches for rally sites in the southeast, i think this would simplify a lot of things. the only problem at this point is that i have yet to find a facility in my territory that meets our requirements both now and in the future.

due to our current selection criteria and selection process, pickings are very slim here in my little corner of the country. out this way, there are three primary stumbling blocks:

1) quality of riding (to/from and around rally)
2) temperatures during july
3) ability to sell beer ourselves

this essentially limits me to the appalachian mountain region... (a notoriously "dry" area, btw...) and this is evidenced in the location for next year's rally.

ian

Unfortunate that selling beer has to be one of the realities of site selection. The MOA sponsored two new and grand events this October and the sale of beer never entered either equation.

Are beer sales that critical? How much revenue (roughly) do they generate as a percentage of the take?

Are beer sales that critical? How much revenue (roughly) do they generate as a percentage of the take?

i don't know the answer to your question, but it may not be the right question.

as i have heard it, the questions are:

- how much will the rally fee have to go up if beer revenue is lost?
- will we be able to afford the same level of entertainment? and...
- how pissed off will members be paying $5 for a cup of bud or bud lite? :sick :ha

also, it's important to know that most rallies are not huge profit-makers.

ian

i don't know the answer to your question, but it may not be the right question.

as i have heard it, the questions are:

- how much will the rally fee have to go up if beer revenue is lost?
- will we be able to afford the same level of entertainment? and...
- how pissed off will members be paying $5 for a cup of bud or bud lite? :sick :ha

also, it's important to know that most rallies are not huge profit-makers.

ian

Somehow our creative membership always get around the the $5 a cup of bud or bud lite. Both of us have been to a lot of rallies without beer tents and there never seems to be a shortage of good spirits."

The question is mostly rhetorical. Maye the right question is how many potential sites are lost because of the need of low cost beer?

Last edited:
The question is mostly rhetorical. Maye the right question is how many potential sites are lost because of the need of low cost beer?

that's a much better question... and i would add "the ability to have beer on-site at all."

How about a rally on the west coast, a rally on the east coast and one half way between? And alternating each?

This would make it possible for the westerners to show up easily to the west coast rally or a mid-country one.

A mid-country rally easy for the west or east coasters and lastly, if the rally was on the east coast, the easterners and the mid-westerners would be able to make it ....

I think the basic concept of your idea has merit. Three permanent 'regions' of the USA would be logical, and allow for better planning logistics, both personally and as a club.

The only 'wrinkle' I'd like to see in the "West Coast / East Coast / Mid-America" dividing of the nation is that the National Rally is NOT in the same site within those regions from year to year.

That way, members can still look forward with anticipation to new areas of the country to visit each year when rally time comes around, which I suspect is the big draw for many to attend in the first place - somewhere new to ride and explore!

I think the basic concept of your idea has merit. Three permanent 'regions' of the USA would be logical, and allow for better planning logistics, both personally and as a club.

The only 'wrinkle' I'd like to see in the "West Coast / East Coast / Mid-America" dividing of the nation is that the National Rally is NOT in the same site within those regions from year to year.

That way, members can still look forward with anticipation to new areas of the country to visit each year when rally time comes around, which I suspect is the big draw for many to attend in the first place - somewhere new to ride and explore!

The problem with only three regions as suggested is that it doesn't account for the North/South problem. It's a very long way from the Canadian border to Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico. The rally in July apparently eliminates the Southern United States once you get out of the mountains due to the heat (but July in the desert is ok?).

I also don't want to go to the same site in each region year to year. The changes in membership, the failing memories of older members and changes to the area would make a repeat location acceptable if it was on an infreqent basis.

+1 to thatcomment! I have never been to Tennessee! I have several elderly Aunts out there who I get to visit, and from what I gather from ya'all, the riding is right out of the fairgrounds back door!

I am still waiting to hear the "theme" Southern Rock to Leon Russell for the music along with A Saturday night feed of Bar Be Que? Baby backs and home made baked beans? Pulled Pork and Corn on the Cob? I really hope it is heading down that road as the flavor of the event (in my mind) determines the draw. Tennessee is penned into my vacation calendar already!

To go to new areas each year is fantastic!

Although Greenwald, if I remember right, you have Colorado connections? Or is that Kenk, I can't remember? As much as Colo Springs is not my favorite town in Colorado, (a big military base with all the trimmings) the riding out the town's back door to the west is awesome riding! It's a big enough town that EVERYONE would go away happy, fed like kings and have no complaints with the mutiple venues in the area! Hotels are BIG and on every corner from the Rtiz to Motel "bed bugs"...

Going back to a place I know well is a bunch of fun down the Memory trail, but should be mixed up with new and exciting stuff!

Welcome to the forum. Check your PM's.

If your first post is any indicator, we will be seeing more of you here. Looking forward to your reaction to the answers to your question of how much easier could this be. :lurk

The problem with only three regions as suggested is that it doesn't account for the North/South problem. It's a very long way from the Canadian border to Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico. The rally in July apparently eliminates the Southern United States once you get out of the mountains due to the heat (but July in the desert is ok?).

I also don't want to go to the same site in each region year to year. The changes in membership, the failing memories of older members and changes to the area would make a repeat location acceptable if it was on an infreqent basis.

Actually, it DOES account for your 'North-South' issue quite well.

Example: a national rally in the 'Mid-America' region could be in Minnesota one year, St. Louis three years after that, and three years later, in Texas.

That means NOT going to the same site in each region. Would still need a Site Search Committee and template.

Variety is the spice of life, and no reason why we cannot keep the rally sites moving around within each specific region.

But three uniform regions would allow people to plan ahead and might even boost interest and attendance. If I knew that next year, the region would be out west, and the year after that in mid-America, I could plan ahead in terms of time off, finances, tempting the SO to come along, visit a relative, etc.

Some predictability, among no more than three regions, would be advantageous.

Last edited:
+1 to thatcomment! I have never been to Tennessee! I have several elderly Aunts out there who I get to visit, and from what I gather from ya'all, the riding is right out of the fairgrounds back door!

I am still waiting to hear the "theme" Southern Rock to Leon Russell for the music along with A Saturday night feed of Bar Be Que? Baby backs and home made baked beans? Pulled Pork and Corn on the Cob? I really hope it is heading down that road as the flavor of the event (in my mind) determines the draw. Tennessee is penned into my vacation calendar already!

To go to new areas each year is fantastic!

Although Greenwald, if I remember right, you have Colorado connections? Or is that Kenk, I can't remember? As much as Colo Springs is not my favorite town in Colorado, (a big military base with all the trimmings) the riding out the town's back door to the west is awesome riding! It's a big enough town that EVERYONE would go away happy, fed like kings and have no complaints with the mutiple venues in the area! Hotels are BIG and on every corner from the Rtiz to Motel "bed bugs"...

Going back to a place I know well is a bunch of fun down the Memory trail, but should be mixed up with new and exciting stuff!

I have the Colorado connections.

But I completely agree with you about "mixing up new and exciting" locales.

I just happen to concur with the original author of this thread that our current system is cumbersome, lacks predictability and could be improved thru simplification.

Last edited:
Actually, it DOES account for your 'North-South' issue quite well.

Example: a national rally in the 'Mid-America' region could be in Minnesota one year, St. Louis three years after that, and three years later, in Texas.

That means NOT going to the same site in each region. Would still need a Site Search Committee and template.

Variety is the spice of life, and no reason why we cannot keep the rally sites moving around within each specific region.

But three uniform regions would allow people to plan ahead and might even boost interest and attendance. If I knew that next year, the region would be out west, and the year after that in mid-America, I could plan ahead in terms of time off, finances, tempting the SO to come along, visit a relative, etc.

Some predictability, among no more than three regions, would be advantageous.

Trust me, you don't want to hold a mid July rally in St. Louis. Hot, hazy and humid will always be the forecast.:thumb

Trust me, you don't want to hold a mid July rally in St. Louis. Hot, hazy and humid will always be the forecast.:thumb

HEY! There was a similar concern (heat, rain and mosquitos) for West Bend....turned out to be Eden for four days.

Besides....after being blown into a ditch by a micro-burst near Spearfish, SD and thrashed by one hell-of-a storm Friday night at the campground in Gillette, you can't scare me.

Last edited:
I'll throw in a suggestion for future consideration.

Bozeman, MT

I know since the rally was in Gillette, maybe not soon. But this is a great area. The weather would be nice and there's incredible rides in the area. Definitely keep on the radar screen. My other hobby is Airstream trailers. We just had our international rally there on the MSU campus. They were excellent hosts.

HEY! There was a similar concern (heat, rain and mosquitos) for West Bend....turned out to be Eden for four days.

Besides....after being blown into a ditch by a micro-burst near Spearfish, SD and thrashed by one hell-of-a storm Friday night at the campground in Gillette, you can't scare me.

You're from Wisconson, my friend. You can't fully appreciate the hell that is the heat and humidity of July in the southeast :help
I've been to the EAA convention in Oshkosh several times as well as the fantastic Rally we had in West Bend and can say from those five experiences of camping in WI in July that your summer temps, humidity and cool evenings in July are to be envied.

Now, lets not talk about December through April ...... :bolt

Ohio was pretty miserable for camping comfort. I skipped this years Rally because I went through Gillette in July 07 and found the location to be miserable at that time. All reports I have heard indicate that the temps were not an issue this year. So what's the point? ....... I don't know. What's the question?:doh

Now, lets not talk about December through April ...

I'd like to invite you all to the Seattle Rain Festival. It usually runs from January 1st to December 31st.

But it looks as though it may be longer this year... :hungover

Weather???

We ride the most adventurous bikes on the planet, carry the most expensive/best gear along with us and ride further and places most bikers never dream about. Weather? I don't care that much:). A rally, lets get r done anywhere, is what its all about. I've been riding in every state many times over and one can find great and really bad days to ride in about any of them. You take your chances every time, on every trip and thank goodness, most work out fine. We sure have had a share of good storms brew over us at many rallies in recent memory and most come out with a story to tell for another days riding. Nobody said biking was ever to be perfect days, temperature wise and we or at least "I" will always come along, hot,cold,rain or sun and camp my rear off until I'm too old to get r done anymore. Not soon:).....Don't go too soft on me, fellow BMW Folks. Pick new sites always and enjoy all the wonderful sites N.America is so blessed with. Leave no corner unturned:) Stamp it BMW..... Randy:usa :ca

Back