• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED driving lights

B

bmdubyou

Anyone have any experience with LED driving lites? I think the concept is awesome-brighter light and lower consumption. I see that Aerostitch sells some.

I agree -

The LED 'driving lights' on the new Audis are so bright and in the right color spectrum so they immediately catch your eye. The few aftermarket units I've seen - presumably the Aerostich units - have the same intensity and color.

These are NOT for road illumination, they are designed for being seen by the cagers.

I just think the prices being charged are stupidly high. These should be in the $40/pair range, not $300 IMHO.

what do you mean "not for road illumination"??

I think the poster meant that the primary purpose is to increase your machine's conspicuity to other vehicles on the road, as opposed to being auxillary lighting to make "night into day." My take on it (while I'm not familiar with the LED driving lights) is that they probably give only a very minimal benefit as far as lighting the rider's path.

I hope this makes sense. I know what I'm trying to say, even if I can't seem to articulate it!;)

In otherwords, they probably wont light up the nite like 50-80 watt PIAAs or Hellas!

LED lights drawbacks

Most LEDs are pretty much monochromatic which makes them poor for illumination but great for conspicuity or brake lights and signals.

The "white" LEDs really aren't white. They contain 3 elements which emit monochromatic light at 3 different wavelengths and appear "white" to your eye but if you use them to illuminate a photograph you will notice a lot of colours are missing.

They are fine to alert other drivers but not a patch on the high intensity incandescents available if you're looking for deer.

So I guess I'm just expanding on what Beemer01 said.

What Beemer intended to say..

Is what the other guys said - these will provide almost zero illumination of the road ahead.

If you want to augment your headlamp for night driving, use halogens or HIDs.

I just got some at Advanced Auto Parts- 6 blue LED's on each light. Seem to improve my ability to be seen by others, already had some comments from co-workers. I haven't tried them in the dark yet, will let you know.
Can't beat the price at $19+change.
Cheers,
Scoobs :drink :drink

I just got some at Advanced Auto Parts- 6 blue LED's on each light. ...

You might wish to check on your local (State) laws regarding use of colored "running" lights. My understanding of Ohio law is that only white and amber "running" lights are to be on the front of the vehicle and only red "running" lights are to face rearward.

Another similar thread on this topic can be found here -
http://forums.realpolice.net/archive/index.php/t-81049.html

Use of LED'S

Hello all, I don't know if this well help or not. But i have a lot of LED's on my P/U truck for fire and ems. They are great for others to see you coming or if they are coming up on you from the rear. They are bright on stop signs and other signs. But ounce they get more then 4 to 5 ft out from the truck they don't light up much at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is they are great to help other vehicles to see you coming but not so great to light up to what you want to see. If you want to experiment, go and buy a 5 or 6 bulb led flash light. You well see that they are bright right in front of you and to about a few feet in front of ya. But if you are looking long distance it gets tough to see. I hope this help out. If not sorry for taking up your time.

Scott Sedlak
Firefighter/Emt
BMW R1200CL

Hello all, I don't know if this well help or not. But i have a lot of LED's on my P/U truck for fire and ems. They are great for others to see you coming or if they are coming up on you from the rear. They are bright on stop signs and other signs. But ounce they get more then 4 to 5 ft out from the truck they don't light up much at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is they are great to help other vehicles to see you coming but not so great to light up to what you want to see. If you want to experiment, go and buy a 5 or 6 bulb led flash light. You well see that they are bright right in front of you and to about a few feet in front of ya. But if you are looking long distance it gets tough to see. I hope this help out. If not sorry for taking up your time.

Scott Sedlak
Firefighter/Emt
BMW R1200CL

Hey, you never have to apologize for adding to the conversations here, Scott! Thanks. Yeah, that does make sense...Ive noticed that led flashlites arent so bright either!

Why halogens or leds?

For light on the road halogens take a lot of current and make a lot of heat.

HID lamps in 30W and 40W versions are now available and probably a better choice for most users. I've got a set of the smallish 30s (3o degree beam width) mounted under the oil cooler on my R1200RT, using the mounts PIAA makes to mount 1100s in the same spot and a PIAA harness.

Once could mount the the larger 40W ones on the forks using other brackets and the are also other ways to mount the 30W ones.

A pair of 30s has more significantly punch than 2 of the 65W aftermarket H7s I run as stock headlamp replacment bulbs

The only downside to these "ballast in lamp housing" HIDs is that the HID "bulb" is a sealed beam unit and the heat from the HID capsule causes some fogging of the reflector. However, it doesn't noticeably hurt output or create excessive scatter.

The bluer color and "spot intensity" of HIDs does wonders for daytime conspicuity also.

Back