• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Top case recommendations please

a330boy

Just purchased a 2012 F800ST. I am used to having more storage space from my years on a Honda ST1300 with a Givi top case. My new bike has factory side cases and I want to add a top case that is similar in appearance to my side cases, proportional to the bike, and is capable of holding one Arai Corsair full face helmet. I really like the Givi Trekker 46, but when I try to picture the case on my bike using just a tape measure it looks like it would be out of proportion on the large side. If you have tried this combination and have a pic please post it.

I really have confidence in Givi, but am open to suggestions, even soft sided, but permanently mounted options.

Your comments are welcome.

On my 2011 F650GS I have a Givi V46 top case. Although not the largest top case Givi makes it is a nice size for the my bike. it easily holds my helmet (schuberth C3) as well as extra gloves, jacket liner and a few other small things. I think it would look/work good on your ST.

nytrashman

Thanks for your thoughts. Looks plenty big enough without being too big. I will try to locate a V46 locally and check it out.

bmw top case

The BMW top case will hold a Schuberth C3. I also have the factory panniers.

I like the top case. Well-made and sturdy. I've had it for only about six months. Some complain of cracking after extended use (see F800 riders), but assuming it holds up I think it looks great and I tend to use it more than the side cases, which I often take off and don't put back on unless I'm going on a travel.

Rick

C3 in Top Box?

I have the standard BMW top case (black plastic) on my 650GS. Getting my C3 helmet in is tough. And it gets "squished" when I close the lid. Is yours like that? My helmet is size is XL 7 5/8.

f800st top case

Bluejay,

My topcase is for the f800st. I don't know if they are the same for the 650.

But I have exactly the same size helmet 7 5/8 XL

Try putting it in this way. It makes a difference, even though it looks like it shouldn't.

Rick

Attachments

• 2012-09-10_13-42-27_775.jpg
    2012-09-10_13-42-27_775.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Different Case?

My top case for my F650GS (BMW hard black plastic case) 2012 must be different. That's a good suggestion to put it that way. I have also done it with the helmet in the open position. My case has more of a flat top to it that it looks like yours does. I can "squish it" but I am not so sure it's good for the helmet.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 159
Top case

I have a Coocase V36 Wizard and I like it. The case can hold a large full face helmet, gloves and some little stuff without any opening/closing issues. Setting up the mounting plate to my 2007 F800st is VERY SIMPLE and feels secure. I've gone over 1000 miles and the mounting plate, screws and case are still secure. Twisted Throttle is the only place I found that sells Coocase at a decent price. I have the matte black case and it looks pretty good on the bike. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've a BMW Vario Case on my F650GS SE.

It's well made and rugged. I like the ability to raise or lower the height depending on what I'm carrying.

My XL-size Scorpion EXO-900 helmet barely fits though. A smaller helmet fits perfectly. The top of the case is slightly flexible so there's literally some wiggle room.

The inside of the case has hardware and protrusions that take up some of the area and sometimes makes it hard to fit rectangular packages that would otherwise fit.

Installation and removal are very easy and it's very solid and waterproof.

Don't confuse style with function. After its been on there a while you won't even notice it. I have an old Givi45 on a R1150R thanks been riding there for over 20000 miles and has given me no trouble. Its been abused on two two trips to Mexico , and all sorts of other trips. Everything stays dry and it holds a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Back