• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

turn signal stuck "on" '87 K100RT

mckayprod

Interesting problem on my K100RT ('87): I signaled for a left turn and the light just stayed on. No flashing, just steady, left-turn signal lamp "on". Shut off the key and the kill switch, and the lamp is still on! For the time being, I pulled the fuse to prevent draining the battery. What interests me, though, is this happened once before, a few months ago (just after I got the bike). I pulled the fuse, replaced it, and the problem went away. No such luck this time.

My question is, should I be looking at a ground connection to the flasher, or a mechanical issue in the left signal switch? Maybe both? Maybe something else? Help?

Thanks!

I bet your 23 year old flasher relay is (for whatever reason) stuck in the "on" position.

PN 61 31 1 459 224... $133.44! My K100RS is suffering something similar, I wonder if there's an aftermarket unit available?

Last edited:
Just get a used one off e-bay. They very rarely fail so a used one should be fine.

:dance:dance:dance

Most of the relays, when stuck in an on position, have welded together due to a low battery, etc. I have been successful at opening the ABS relay on an 1100RS separating and cleaning the contacts and closing it back up for another ton of miles with no problems. Might be worth a try.

If it is like the starter relay you might try whacking it with a screwdriver handle :D

This is going to be an intermittent issue. Replacing the fuse the next morning "fixed" the problem. I think the stuck relay analysis is a good one...after a lot of years in electronics, that's what it feels like to me. I think it'll just have to be a "quirk" for awhile. As always, thanks for the help.

I've been putting up with mine for a while now. Fine sometimes and then hitting the turn signal puts me into 4-way flasher mode, or sometimes just on...

Back