• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LD Awards

sdpc2

oes anyone have the tally of the long-distance awards? :dunno

I know that this is going to sound like I am complaining, but.....

I think that my wife got screwed out of the Long-Distance Female, sidecar driver award. Since this was her first rally, and i had to hear about it for two days coming home; i wanted to 2x the details before i make a fuss.

thank you,

scott c

oes anyone have the tally of the long-distance awards? :dunno

I know that this is going to sound like I am complaining, but.....

I think that my wife got screwed out of the Long-Distance Female, sidecar driver award. Since this was her first rally, and i had to hear about it for two days coming home; i wanted to 2x the details before i make a fuss.

thank you,

scott c

Got screwed out of it? How so? Did she register for that award? You had to register to win.
The measurement was fairly simple, they measure between West Bend and your home address, using the same mapping software for everyone (can't recall which). I remember the winner of that award was standing in front of me, but don't recall the winning distance.

...Question: When distance is calculated using a mapping program is the mileage land only? The reason I ask is that when I calculate from here to wherever (ie south into US) my mapping program automatically takes the ferry to Portland, Maine rather than the land route. This cuts about 400 miles off my actual mileage because I don't want to pay the ferry robbers. So, is it all by land only and disregarding ferry short-cuts?:dunno -Bob

HI Gail

Thank you for your response.

I too thought that perhaps she had not registered correctly. In fact, that was my first thought. But she kept her registration copy for a scrapbook that she is putting together of the event. It was completed correctly.

I have been told that the MOA uses MapQuest to calculate the mileage. According to MapQuest, my house to the rally is 960 miles.

Please understand, that i am not trying to make this a huge issue. I certainly appreciate how difficult it must be to properly calculate 7800 registrations for all of the various details. But let's be realistic... how many female sidecar drivers do you think that there were at the rally?

scott

Got screwed out of it? How so? Did she register for that award? You had to register to win.
The measurement was fairly simple, they measure between West Bend and your home address, using the same mapping software for everyone (can't recall which). I remember the winner of that award was standing in front of me, but don't recall the winning distance.

I too thought that perhaps she had not registered correctly. In fact, that was my first thought. But she kept her registration copy for a scrapbook that she is putting together of the event. It was completed correctly.

All awards require a separate sign-up. She would have needed to go to Awards and Tallies (in the same room as the door prizes and the country store) to sign-up, to be considered for the award.

We do not lift the information from the registration forms for the awards.

Hi Sue

Thank you for clearing that up. I really wish that this policy had been made clear at the rally. Live and learn, i guess.

sdc

All awards require a separate sign-up. She would have needed to go to Awards and Tallies (in the same room as the door prizes and the country store) to sign-up, to be considered for the award.

We do not lift the information from the registration forms for the awards.

Please see page 18 of your rally program.

In addition, there was an article in one of the BMW Owners News magazines - probably May or June.

Like i said, live and learn!

:banghead

so what about those folks that aren't members? A sign at the rally would have been very helpful.

Please see page 18 of your rally program.

In addition, there was an article in one of the BMW Owners News magazines - probably May or June.

Last edited:
Ah yes, but everyone at the rally should have received the rally program.........

:)

The bottom line is that if we would have posted a sign, then someone would have said it wasn't high enough, or needed to be somewhere else, or the type was too small, or......

:dunno

I am putting this on my "I just can't win" list, and moving along.

Glad you made it to the rally. You were a winner just by being there. :german

:banghead

so what about those folks that aren't members? A sign at the rally would have been very helpful.

Have you been to any rally before? It's SOP that you sign up for any award... oldest rider, youngest rider, longest distance, etc etc etc. In the case of distance awards, you enter the distance from home to the rally, which is double checked via a Mapsource type program. If it comes right down to it, verifying if an alternate route was used, such as ferry, is queried.

I have to say it was a dispointment that after 34 years the way club awards were calculated changed, then changed again at the rally and then were not applied equally to all clubs.

All this could easily be resolved if we had a few data entry clerks entering the information off the registration forms directly into the iMIS system (member db).

Write a few crystal reports and presto, accurate information.

The system can handle this quite easily and the MOA now has a full time paid IT guy. Something like this should take about 60 minutes to set up. Hire a few local temps and bada bing, bada boom accuracy and no need to go find the special table to be considered.

Hi Rob -

I was not aware they were changed at the rally? What are you talking about?

I can't speak for Rob, but I'll take a guess: Due to the new sign in requirement, the Yankee Beemer's didn't even show in the club rankings. I was shocked when I signed in late Thursday and was the 6th YB on the list. The Yankee Beemer's are traditionally one of the top regional clubs for attendance. I would guess that many (most?) attendees did not know about the sign in change, where previous years club attendance was a passive activity on the members part, this year, they needed to take action. If I had not been signing up for a few of the awards myself, I would probably not have bothered making the special trip to the Awards & Tallies table in the Country Store.

"... don't bother ..."

Did she register for that award? You had to register to win.

I rode over 3100 miles to the rally. When I tried to register for the award, I was told "don't bother you won't win." Regardless of a person's chances, that type of attitude from a volunteer is inappropriate.

Hi Rob -

I was not aware they were changed at the rally? What are you talking about?

The advance was that a club officer or appointed representative was to provide a list to Awards and Tally of members present at the rally.

Upon arrival we were told that each individual member had to visit the awards and tally table and have their rally wristband number recorded.

The irony is that it appeared that the A&T table was staffed when the Country Store was open so there would have been ample time for them to get the numbers the old way. The new method was not applied the same way to each club. When I signed for one of my clubs I found I was already on the list, when I signed in for the YB's I had to be added.

Regardless the rally was absolutely fantastic, thanks for putting on a great show. As we both know these sort of things take on a life of their own and are out of the Rally Chair's control so I'm not going to worry about it.

A big tip of the keyboard to you, Brian and all the folks who stepped up to make it happen.

I rode over 3100 miles to the rally. When I tried to register for the award, I was told "don't bother you won't win." Regardless of a person's chances, that type of attitude from a volunteer is inappropriate.

Sad but true (but no excuse to be rude to anyone) your miles to the rally don't count because the measurement is from your mail address to the rally. No one should be turned down from registering for long distances. Live and learn. We can only hope to implement improvements next year.

Don't Pay the Ferryman

...does anyone know if the mileage is calculated by land only (direct of course) or does it calculate shortest route .... which often inputs a ferry into the equation. I would think that the ferry is a rider (who has the money) option and that the actual mileage omits the ferry option. At least I hope that's how it works. -Bob

Please don't be offended by the indelicate sentence structure of a volunteer. Volunteers get tired too. I would ask your patience, knowing that whoever spoke to you had probably alrready worked a lot of hours in that booth. Sometimes we say things without knowing how they might offend someone.

Granted, it would have sounded differently if they would have said something like:

"Wow! Sounds like a GREAT ride! Here is the sign-up sheet, but it looks like there are some others who have nudged you out of the running. We are so sorry, but what an adventure you must have had. Would you consider writing an article for the BMW Owners News about it?"​

Yes, that would have sounded better, but sometimes we, as volunteers, just get tired and forget to be very careful.

We all hope you had a good time at the rally, regardless. I, for one, am envious of your wonderful long ride.

And I am sure that the 2008 Rally Chairs would welcome your input on ways to improve the process.

Scott,

Please submit an article to the ON relating your wife's experiences and travels with the sidecar rig. The award and $1.25 will buy a cup of coffee, I'm dying to hear her story.

Motard

Back