• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hard cases

rickyT

I just found what I think is a good deal on some hard cases from a late 80s K1000. I have an 85 R80 standard, no racks no nothin. If these don't fit the BMW airhead mounts I may attempt to cobble something up. Does anyone know if these are the same cases that would be used on an 85 monolever airhead?

If you have the rectangular racks, then they will NOT fit as-is. You can outfit your monoshock with the "S" shaped racks, which will fit the Integral bags that were used on the early K bikes and late airheads. Here is a thread with pics of the different styles of airhead bags:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=29604

If the K bike bags are the Integral ones, you can fit them on your bike as long as you have or get the S-shaped bag mounts. If the K bike bags are newer like those found on the 1100/1150 oilheads, they cannot be used with your airhead. I don't know when the K's switched bag styles.

Ahh, a clue! Thanks Mike. The bags I have are the Integral. Can you tell me more about these S shaped mounts?

Rick

The S-shaped mounts (as I call them) to mount Integral bags on airheads are still available from BMW. New, they run about $150 each, plus hardware. They are the same for all monolever airheads with Integral cases. The part numbers are:

46 54 2 303 525 (left)
46 54 2 303 526 (right)

The mounts look like this:

Attachments

• SetCaseHolder_Integral.png
    SetCaseHolder_Integral.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
The much more common racks for airheads are the "rectangular" ones which fit the Touring cases and will NOT work with the Integral cases that you're looking at:

Attachments

• SetCaseHolder_Touring.png
    SetCaseHolder_Touring.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 580
I meant monolever, not monoshock (will correct original post). I don't think they made the integral case mounts to fit the GS models (monoshock, but paralever), but that doesn't affect you.

Back