• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tuesday stepping out

tuesday ride

well, not such a great start. We'll try attaching the photo again.

RS in my front yard just whispering

Attachments

• ridephoto001.jpg
    ridephoto001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 125
tuesday ride

Left out from Greensboro in the chilly morning. Not quite rounder cold, but for us southerners it was cold enough in mid 50s. Heading for one of my fav haunts, the blue ridge parkway

This is typical Caroline small town. This happens to be Stokesdale, NC, about 15 miles from Greensboro. Im a transplant from NJ, and it took me awhile to get used to going from urban to rural in no time.

Attachments

• ridephoto2.jpg
    ridephoto2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 120
tuesday ride

Eveybody has their fav roads. One of mine is 89. Fine riding road. Technical double apex off camber twisties, to sweepers, to gentle s as in photo. This 40 miles ending in Mt. Airy, NC (better know around the world as Mayberry, RFD) is a brilliant ride!

Attachments

• ridephoto4.jpg
    ridephoto4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 121
Tu

In the Piedmont it's spring, tho still colder than we'd like. These flowers along the roadside beckoned

Attachments

• ridephoto3.jpg
    ridephoto3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 120
tuesday ride

Alas, my route today departs from 89 in Danbury NC, home to Hanging Rock State Park. About 40 miles out, now, and these are the first mountains. This view from route 8 heading north. Hanging Rock is neat place to rock climb, or to stand in an ice cold waterfall when it's 200 in August

Attachments

• ridephoto.jpg
    ridephoto.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 112
tuesday ride

Course, rt 8 is no dull ride, especially near Danbury, and again up by the BRP. About halfway is Stuart, VA, hometown of JEB Stuart, the confederate general. Yeah, the war's not quite over yet. But Stuart is a nice little town.

Attachments

• ridephoto5.jpg
    ridephoto5.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 111
tuesday ride

A decent shot of what the countryside along rt 8 looks like. Runs thru a series of narrow valleys, and over the ever larger ridgelines approaching the Blue Ridge. It's not as demanding as 89, but you can have some serious fun on this road

Attachments

• ridephoto7.jpg
    ridephoto7.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 105
tuesday ride

Hard to convey the approach to the parkway. This is the climb up to Tuggles Gap, VA. Nice twisties. Climb is about 6 miles of switchbacks, off camber blind corners. The turns are very close together, but so acute you can't see more than one small section at a time.

Attachments

• ridephoto8.jpg
    ridephoto8.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 106
tuesday ride

I went southbound, back towards NC. I can hear all the rounders groaning, but it was cold up there. Spring is still a ways off in the high country. Down on the flats we've had leaves on the trees for several weeks, while up on the parkway it's only now beginning to be spring. This view from Rocky Knob

Attachments

• ridephoto10.jpg
    ridephoto10.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 102
tuesday ride

Y'all should know where the Tar Heel blue comes from. Sky was cloudless all day. This shot is typical parkway. Gotta be one of the best roads anywhere for bikes. No stop signs for 500 miles, fairly challenging (tho not very many twisties) and no trucks. Also, during the week, very little traffic.

Attachments

• ridephoto12.jpg
    ridephoto12.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 99
tuesday ride

another typical parkway view. most of the ride you're tunneling thru forest of one type or another, depending on elevation. Could be hardwoods, or fir, and there are thousands of acres of mountain laurel. I'll post photos when it blooms.

Attachments

• ridephoto14.jpg
    ridephoto14.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 101
tuesday ride

dogwood is in bloom up there, so spring can't be too far away

Attachments

• ridephoto15.jpg
    ridephoto15.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
tuesday ride

this is view from foxhunters paradise overlook, taken at 10X. The peaks on the horizon are, from left to right, Hanging Rock (as seen in post 4, I believe) and Pilot Mountain. Distance from Hanging Rock to Pilot is about 40 miles, and I an probably 60 miles from Pilot. Anybody guess why it's called the blue ridge?

Attachments

• ridephoto17.jpg
    ridephoto17.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 66
t

a bit better view of Pilot Mt.
from here traveled back to Greensboro, total distance 250 miles
for those in the area here's the route

68 n to 65 w to 311 n to 89 w to 8 n to s on brp to e on 21 to e on 268 back to 89

Attachments

• ridephoto18.jpg
    ridephoto18.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 64
Back