• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tool kit recomendations?

D

DZIMBRIC

Can anyone recomend what tools to carry for a trip. I want to replace the kit supplied with the bike for a better/larger kit and need recomendaitons on a tire pump vs the CO2 cannister for flat repairs.:confused:

I would like to know if anyone has used JB weld while on the road. I have considered adding some to my tools, it is amazing stuff.

There was an article in a MO magazine several months ago about a trip to , i think, Labrador. The gentleman used JB weld to repair the blades on a pump or rotor on his bike.

i have used it at work, great stuff if you have a way to work it after it sets.

I am considering a co2 cilynder for tires . What made you look at an air pump.
Bill

Why a pump?

I am contemplating a pump as well. The main reason, I sure how you get your tire filled with the cartridges. If you have a problem you are now stuck with a repaired tired with no air in it.

If you mess up while pumping up a tire and let all the air out again, well just turn the pump back on.

My biggest thing is the cost of them.

What's wrong with the toolkit the bike comes with? The BMW tools are high quality and selected to match the needs of the bike.

I've used the plug kit a couple times. It works, but 3 CO2 cartridges is only enough to partially inflate the tire. This is a more important reason to go with a pump. The little plastic attachment that connects the cartridge to the tire filler valve is a screw fitting at both ends and works easily. There is one little secret to using the plugs: you have to make the hole big enough. If you try to jam one of the plugs into the tire and it tears, you haven't reamed the hole out big enough. Another thing to know is that if you tear one side, you can turn it around and try it again.

Finally, JB Weld is great stuff. I've seen a valve cover fixed by the side of the road and then go 1500 miles home.

You can get a 12 volt mini compressor at the local discount store for about 10-15 bucks. It isn't a name brand stainless steel encrusted work of art that rides in the bottom of your system cases, but it works. and if it dies, so what spend another 10 bucks in about 6 years. You can even strip off the plastic shrouds and make the cheapie even smaller. I duct tape the things that need secured once the plastic is gone. They work fine and you can even use it to maintain your pressures. Save some money and get the cheapie, it will work great.

Cellphone & BMWMOA Owners Anonymous book are the best two tools in my bag. I have the factory kit and then added a few things like zip ties, duct tape, and a few one gallon ziplock freezer bags for holding parts that might fall into grass or somewhere else while I'm on the roadside. Those zip ties (wire ties) will do wonders. I have added also a pair of longnose vice grips and medium vice grips because of my experience with them in riding Enduro/dirt. They can make a new shifter, new brake pedal, new throttle if the barrell wears off the end of the original.

I have been fortunate to have never had to deal with a flat, but I do carry a CO2 repair kit. A pump to me would be good if I were going to Alaska but for riding up here in the congested Northeast, we are seldom more than 1/2 an hour from help no matter where we are.

Kook has the plan

A pair of needlenose visegrips are really handy to have. They function as regular pliers, wire cutters (sort of) a hammer, and the vise like grip can be a lifesaver in some situations. So can zipties and duct tape. A leatherman type tool will do a similar job. It cannot be attached to the bike like visegrips can. I have a flashlight, I carried a mini mag light for a long time, but now carry an led one now. The bulb lasts forever, and battery life is good, though I do carry a spare set of batteries. I carry a couple pairs of the blue nitrile "surgical" gloves in my first aid kit. If you have a lot of mess to deal with, they can help keep your hands clean and retain dexterity.

DarrylRi

Re the co2 cylinders. Are the 3 You used the small or the large ones. I don't know the volume of either but the idea of a plug in electric seems to be the answer.
Bill

I've used JB weld on plastic pieces on a recently departed K-bike. You know, those side-panel retainers that you forgot were there. Worked pretty well. At the National last year used my 12-volt air pump to adjust tires on other peoples' bikes. A couple other items that may be useful - a digital meter has various uses. A 1/4" drive ratchet handle and some deep-well sockets travel with me, but have been loaned on occasion. I have also carried home-made jumper cables with the small clamps for use on bike batteries.

Probably the best thing to have along with the tools is somebody who knows what to do with them. I'd like to put a sign up in our shop, "We fix first, $XXX/hr. You fix first, $XXXXXX/hr."

buyarbi2003 said:
DarrylRi

Re the co2 cylinders. Are the 3 You used the small or the large ones. I don't know the volume of either but the idea of a plug in electric seems to be the answer.
Bill
The little ones. I have a kit now with 3 bigger ones, which I carry around on my 6V bikes. I have pumped up a tire with the bicycle style pumps that came on /2 bikes, but it's not a lot of fun, and only beats walking if you have to go more than a mile or so. ;-)

So, I have an electric pump for use on my 12V bikes. Works great in the garage, though I haven't had the "opportunity" to try it out under duress.

I used to be an audio/video/low voltage contractor. That meant I got paid to be a gadget guy. You don't want to know about the toys in the basement of doom :evil

Oh yeah, on the Crunch, I had it and recommend getting a second more typical Leatherman like a Wave or a Juice as well. Believe it or not Amazon used to have the best prices on these.

Now if we could just get Brad to wash his bike. What was it you said Saturday, two years?

Why waste time washing it when I can be riding it?

Let's see picked it up on June 18, 2002... last wash of the whole bike... June 18, 2002

I have done the basic rub down of the front and removing bugs and stuff.

I dunno. I like to keep my bikes fairly clean. If you work on them yourself, few things are worse than working with a dirty motorcycle.

dave

I agree with Dave.

My background is maintaining equipment in a corrosive environment (salt water) and daily washing was a part of maintenance.

Washing the bike not only keeps it pretty but often during the wash you can spot things that if left unattended could cause much larger problems down the road. Some good examples are little fluid leaks, loose fasteners or pinched cables.

As always YMMV.

Best,

Rob Nye

dzimbric
I went into the honda shop yesterday and saw a tire pump that you thread into a sparkplug hole and, according to directions, turn over or run the engine to pump the tire.
It seems almost to simple, but logical. Has anyone out there ever used one of these?
Bill

Back