• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Travel Shoes

racer7

When I travel on the bike I take only 1 item of footware other than my boots (which vary by season).

Attributes that matter to me are size, weight, comfort, durability. I don't need rugged hiking boots to protect my feet, just "walk around", all purpose footware.

My favorite (mens, don't know if there is a women's version) is the Patagonia Cardon (color "vanilla'). Crushable, comfortable, durable. My first pair lasted 4 years of almost daily use, they're still made. Not cheap at $140 but better quality than other similar I've seen. Used to be sold by REI, no longer. I order direct, just bought 2 pair as discontinutation insurance, though they've been in steady production for at least the past five years. More comfortable than any boat shoe, which is what I used to use..

Your choice??

I pack similarly. Usually, pair #2 is an old pair of Merrell tennis shoes, light and comfy. Once, living from the saddlebag liners in Europe for two months, when space was really at a premium, I had bike boots and a pair of Tevas.

On other non-bike trips carrying a daypack, I've worn slipons from Lands End, very similar to the Cardons you use, and carried flipflops.

Wide feet here, so I pack a pair of Merrell sneakers (Mondo Version) and some sandals that double as shower shoes and mosey around the campsite footwear.

For the past eight years the only consistent take along footwear is a pair of Nike sandals that won't wear out. They work for the shower and walking around the campsite. The purpose of my trip dictates which boots I ride in and if I take additional shoes for sailing or__?

I take my riding boots and a pair of Keens when we do our four or so month summer rideabout. The Keens pack quite flat, are comfortable to walk in, take puddles and water in stride, and do triple duty as shower shoes.

They do look a little weird when I decide I want to wear socks with them but I'm to old to care. "Style" is for the timid.

Ditto Croc's:)

I've carried everything over the years. The Croc's of late are OK and tack on the back of bike anywhere, via ball bungie:). I find them NOT the best walk about shoe for hours though, just handy around the camp and shower, short walks only. Its always a last thing issue as I depart for any trip, WHAT to take for #2 shoes? I like the handy Croc's, just cannot hurt them and no need to pack them in anywhere, just hanging them on back of bike thing, with my camping gear. Hiking shoes are the opposite and require much thinking where to put them, BUT way comfy for long walkabouts. Done both and always my dilemma what to carry:(. Randy

I take Sperry Topsiders if going somewhere warm-ish, just a little powder first, then no socks.

al

I have some sandals (Teva?) originally intended for use in and around water. They are compact, tough and fit well enough so you can run in them if you want. I have a dog who is rather fond of long (4-6 mile) daily walks, and they work for that. Mine must have several hundred miles on them.

New Balance running shoes (AKA "trainers") Light, comfy and NB makes shoes in widths. They even have a few models that are wide in the toe box and narrow in the heel, just for me! :dance

The only packing problem with running shoes is the stiff heel counters that don't flatten out, but stuff your spare socks or skivvies inside the shoes so the space doesn't go to waste.

pete

CROCS- I have used them for M/C trips for years. There are several styles to choose from other the the traditional 'originals'.

Lightweight/waterproof/comfortable/durable- the most versatile kicks on the planet!

I prefer the 'Islander' for my needs. They have laces for a tighter fit while retaining the traditional advantages that Crocs offer.

CROCS- I have used them for M/C trips for years. There are several styles to choose from other the the traditional 'originals'.

Lightweight/waterproof/comfortable/durable- the most versatile kicks on the planet!

I prefer the 'Islander' for my needs. They have laces for a tighter fit while retaining the traditional advantages that Crocs offer.

I wa just looking at the Crocs http://www.crocs.com/islander-sport-realtree/12245,default,pd.html?cid=22Z&q=mens islanders . they have their Islander sport raintree on sale 2 pairs for $40.00. The come in the camouflage,not my favorite color but I may go for them

I take my riding boots and a pair of Keens when we do our four or so month summer rideabout. The Keens pack quite flat, are comfortable to walk in, take puddles and water in stride, and do triple duty as shower shoes.
They do look a little weird when I decide I want to wear socks with them but I'm to old to care. "Style" is for the timid.

Keens - all the way for all the reasons listed. Hiking, swimming, walking, climbing, the list goes on. They are about the most comfortable things you can put on your feet, dry off inside of 10 minutes, and pack flat.

I paid full price my first pair, I've gotten lucky with the occasional 20% and 30% off coupons at REI for a substantial discount on subsequent pairs.

+1 on Keen shoes.

I wear my issued combat boots when I ride and Keen shoes when I am off the bike. Keen CNX Clearwater to be exact. Super low weight shoe with good toe protection. Overall, a great pair of shoes.

I truly wish Keens fit, but they don't. The arch is in the wrong place. Makes my foot go numb.

My spare shoes are FiveFingers. The only thing that might take up less space is a pair of socks. Great water shoes. I've hiked in them, been on my feet all day in them, and my feet were better than fine. Was skeptical at first, but now I'm sold. there is a bit of an adjustment as you learn to walk with little to no heel strike.

Back