• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery for 1995 K75 standard (no letters)

kobukan

Registered
. . . has anyone put the pc925L in? Does it fit? Did you need special brackets? Is it overkill? (The specs show that it's about .25" higher than the 51814 that I have in there)

I'm probably a little late to help you, but I can answer your question. I put an Odyssey PC925L in my K75 about a year ago. It fits fine without any special brackets, but it is slightly taller and I had to put a little rubber spacer above the coolant reservoir to keep the reservoir snug. Yes, the PC925L is probably overkill and it was expensive, but it's got some serious cranking power.

In the past, i have used BMW batteries in my K-bikes (K1100LT's and K75's). The slosh ones (have to check and add water periodically) generally lasted about 3 years before taking a dump. The last one I got was a BMW Exide maintenance free battery. It lasted about 2 years to the day, then wouldn't even turn on the instrument lights. So I've written off BMW Exide and install whatever I can find which fits. The most recent (3 years and counting) is Batteries Plus maintenance free.

What is the AH rating on the 680? I think I need a 30AH to keep the ABS on my 91 K75RT happy. The 4yr old Westco is cranking a little slow and dropping to 9.7V on first start now.

What is the AH rating on the 680? I think I need a 30AH to keep the ABS on my 91 K75RT happy. The 4yr old Westco is cranking a little slow and dropping to 9.7V on first start now.

The owners manual for my '93 K75S specifies a 25Ah battery. However, both the Westco and Odyssey sites specify their smaller batteries for this bike: 12V20P (20Ah) and PC680 (16Ah) respectively. However, both companies recommend their larger batteries (12V30 (30Ah) and PC925 (28Ah)) for a K75RT. I don't really get that unless it's a legacy specification from BMW.

However, my 2003 K1200RS, later K1100's, and just about all oilheads only have room for the smaller PC680 sized battery. I have a PC680 in my K75S and my K1200RS and it cranks them over just fine in 20 degree temps with 15-50w oil. I figure if the PC680 sized battery is big enough to run all the electrical load on the K1200RS (including the electrically powered whizzy brakes) it will do just fine in any K75. Also, the PC680 is 10.6lbs lighter than the PC925.

Finally, I've had three Westco batteries die suddenly on me. By that I mean they are less than three years old (one was only 8 mo. old), are working apparently perfectly, and then won't turn the bike over after being shut off for five minutes, or are stone dead after sitting over night. I suspect the ones I've had broke and shorted internally while riding, so would go dead very quickly once the bike is off. A suddenly dead battery is something that can be a lot more than inconvenient, so I'm switching completely to Odyssey. They have a reputation for long life and NOT sudden death. I hope so. :scratch YMMV

I hope that they thanked you for the $20 tip.

Not battery related, but relevant nonetheless. Shopping around does pay dividends. I recently bought a small duct fan designed to boost flow in 4" furnace ducting. I found several vendors that sold the same model by the same manufacturer. Prices for these identical fans ranged from $14 to $69 depending on the vendor.

Back