• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Want to Borrow a Motorcycle Ramp

P

pturner820

I need to cart my R1150R over to Moses Lake on March 1st to hopefully trade it for a R1200C.

Due to the weather and not wanting to put additional miles on the bike, I need to cart it over in a pickup.

I have the pickup available, but do not have a motorcycle ramp or tie downs and would rather not purchase all of that for a one time use.

Does anyone have a motorcycle ramp and/or tie downs I could borrow/rent for a day?

Thanks!
Patrick

Upside? You could borrow my ramp, tie downs/Canyon Bar Dancer harness....

Downside? I'm in Kitsap County (Seabeck) and that's a long way just to borrow a bit of gear.

But...it's here if you don't find anyone closer. My ramp is a bit short, so depending on the height of your pickup bed you may need to find a good spot to load/unload. The ramp folds half lengthwise, so when deployed it's really wide enough to ride the bike into the truck bed. ATV type ramp rated for 1000 pound load, I used it with an 1150R and a 900 SS Ducati.

Good Luck!

Bill J

do you know anyone in the construction business? a scaffle board (aluminum) makes a great ramp. hope this helps...

I have a couple of metal ramps, they're only 6' long but you're free to use them. I also have some ratchet style tie downs I've used on a few bikes in the back of a pick up. I always find a place that is close to the height of the pick up and use the ramps that way. They'd probably be perfect for a lower trailer height. I'm off exit 195 in Everett.

Upside? You could borrow my ramp, tie downs/Canyon Bar Dancer harness....

Downside? I'm in Kitsap County (Seabeck) and that's a long way just to borrow a bit of gear.

But...it's here if you don't find anyone closer. My ramp is a bit short, so depending on the height of your pickup bed you may need to find a good spot to load/unload. The ramp folds half lengthwise, so when deployed it's really wide enough to ride the bike into the truck bed. ATV type ramp rated for 1000 pound load, I used it with an 1150R and a 900 SS Ducati.

Good Luck!

Bill J

Sent PM.

Thanks!
Patrick

Yep, she's all mine.

I ended up renting a cargo van from Enterprise Renta-Truck. BTW, those folks were great, very accommodating. Very good experience, I highly recommend them.

Anywho...I bought this cheap-o ramp that was just wide enough for the rear tire. Getting the bike into and out of the van was by far the most stressful part of the whole thing. Once the bike was in I was able to get enough tie downs in place to make it very secure.

Driving over the pass and such wasn't bad at all. No snow.
Heading back the C was even more secure (less bouncy) than the R, but getting the bike out of the van was really tricky, since it insisted on getting stuck halfway down.

That was the first, and hopefully last time I need to transport a bike like that, but the weather was crappy enough I was glad I didn't just ride over there and back.

Oh, and I really like my new C. It's a 2000 with ABS and less than 12k miles.
Needs a bit of TLC and new tires, but otherwise has been solid so far.

Patrick

Attachments

• 100_1881.JPG
    100_1881.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 41
SUHWEET!

I've thought about one of these too, but mostly when I've been on a ride with my brother-in-laws cruiser club. My Gray/Mandarin R1100S looks a bit out of place in that group. But I've also been trying to encourage my spouse to start riding pillion again. She's never felt comfortable on any of my sporty type rides, and of course would never ride the Ducati with me....

Sounds like a bit of struggle with that narrow ramp...I purchased mine years ago at a "divorce" garage sale. For fifty bucks I got a ramp that cost about 300 new, and it's really come in handy, a bit bulky compared to what you have now, but nice that I can ride the bike up the ramp into the truck.

Glad you didn't have a bunch of trouble with the weather, I'm so sick of winter I could scream. Okay, I sceamed. Did ya hear me??

At any rate, congratulations, enjoy that new ride! :)

Cheers, BJ

Back