• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cross one off the 'list'

The Blue Max
Taking my new(er)RT with me on May 1 & flying to Germany for nine weeks touring the continent. Survived a bad health scare last fall & personal life changed since, have the money & time at last to shorten the bucket list. Have a rough itinerary for the first four weeks, rest determined by where the wind blows. Once back, landing in Toronto & visiting the N.E. states & our Maritimes next two months & then ride back out west. Before saying I'm so lucky, there were lots of years the trips were short or non existent. Thankfully, it is finally my turn & hope you get yours soon. :bliss

Very jealous! My mother is German and I have always wanted to visit the country. That would be exactly the way I would want do it as well.

Wow! Sounds likea great trip.
We did two weeks in southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, northern Itay three years ago. That's a trip I will never forget. I just hope we get to go back someday and stay longer so we can see more and finish the Alps.
You'll have a great time. Enjoy. Take lots of pics and post a writeup when you get back.

Sounds great! If you decide to visit Holland, I can get you some nice tours around the country. But since you start in Germany (and I guess the Alps) you got spoiled and don't want to tour a flat country.... ;) But there is actually a lot to see. We have nice curvy roads on our dykes.

So...if you come this way, drop me a line and I'd be happy to show you around.

Actually it's a pitty you're not around for the annual BMW Motorrad Days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Bavaria, Germany) in the first weekend of July. I've been there 3 times already and it's very nice. Some 40.000 BMW enthousiasts gather there for 3 days to look at all the bikes and there is a market, stunt shows and lots of other entertainment.

Or is that exactly the last weekend of you holiday?

Will look into extending my trip a week or so, can't imagine seeing 40K fellow beemer riders in one spot.

Here's a picture of the 'parking lot' 2 years ago. It was raining a lot back then, but still it was a nice outing. The 40k visitors is over the 3 days I guess ;)

Muddy parking by Mike Philippens, on Flickr

BMW Motorrad Days 2009 Entry by Mike Philippens, on Flickr

It's very nice to be I must say. From where I live it's about 850km. If you're going there, you'll need to either camp on the site or book a place. My experience is that's it's extremely difficult to get anything for a decent price (but I'm Dutch...) so last year, I ended up in Austria (just 15km south of GAP, on the other side of the mountain) at a guesthouse for a very reasonable price (something like Ôé¼35 a day incl.breakfast).

Before saying I'm so lucky, there were lots of years the trips were short or non existent. Thankfully, it is finally my turn & hope you get yours soon. :bliss

Yes, I am currently in the "trips were short or non existent" phase right now.

I can retire in a year, and it's a race against time: getting to retirement but still being healthy enough to do the long rides I hope to do.

I have ridden to Nova Scotia, among other trips, but I'm pretty much tied up at work during warm weather, due to my duties involved in road and bridge construction.

Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Harry

Yes, I am currently in the "trips were short or non existent" phase right now.

I can retire in a year, and it's a race against time: getting to retirement but still being healthy enough to do the long rides I hope to do.

I have ridden to Nova Scotia, among other trips, but I'm pretty much tied up at work during warm weather, due to my duties involved in road and bridge construction.

Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Harry[/QUOTE
Don't think of "it" as a race against time! Take it as it comes and hope for the best! Sure it is all about your health as we age but there is much room for your attitude towards aging. Think young and stay active is the way to go. Your endurance may dwindle, just spread out what you have to do over the increased time you have to do it. Now, back to being retired and active!

Taking my new(er)RT with me on May 1 & flying to Germany for nine weeks touring the continent. Survived a bad health scare last fall & personal life changed since, have the money & time at last to shorten the bucket list. Have a rough itinerary for the first four weeks, rest determined by where the wind blows. Once back, landing in Toronto & visiting the N.E. states & our Maritimes next two months & then ride back out west. Before saying I'm so lucky, there were lots of years the trips were short or non existent. Thankfully, it is finally my turn & hope you get yours soon. :bliss

Post plenty of pictures of your trip.

Gary is in Germany at the moment, and will be in Holland next week. He will meet up with me and together we'll be touring for a couple of days. I'll try to show him some of the nice spots in Holland.

I've selected a few tours along the islands of Zeeland (south-west coast) and our Deltaworks (storm surge barrier) and another tour through an area with plenty of water (lakes and little rivers), which will take us along the bulbfields and windmills and ends at the north sea beach of Noordwijk.

I'll make sure to take my helmet camera with me and shoot some video of the tour. I'm looking forward to showing our great little country to Gary.

Hi, Mike,
My late wife had Dutch ancestry, so in 2003 we went to Noord Holland, to the area her ancestors came from, and met some of her family, descendants of those who stayed in Holland. While she and the cousins went to the town of her ancestors and did other things, a fellow I met on CompuServe let me ride his '61 R26 (while he rode his Jawa) and we had a wonderful ride along the top of the dikes.

Back