• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS/I-abs/differences between years

Bill Lumberg
Despite searching, couldn't find a site or thead that lists which years/models had fully integrated, partially integrated, servo/non servo brakes, etc. I started thinking about brake genealogy after being advised for the umpteenth time that my particular model's brakes function in a way that they actually do not.

All K75 and K100 bikes that have ABS have ABS1 with round modulators mounted either side of the front of the rear wheel by the footpegs. So did ABS equipped K1100LT bikes up to '93 I believe. K1100 bikes then got ABSII. So did the early Oilheads.

Your R75 does not have ABS. Your R1150 probably does but without a year I couldn't guess what kind. Maybe integrated. Maybe servo powered. I lost track.

If your R1150 does not behave as folks describe, then either they are wrong or it is malfunctioning.

Details?? What are you really trying to find out.

Just curious what changed when, particularly on RT's. because of changes/differences between bikes/years, in less knowledgeable places than this forum, it's not uncommon to hear incorrect assertions about a particular model and brake function. Linked, non linked, etc. It made me wonder if there was a spreadsheet or site somewhere, as I have such reference materials for jeeps and firearms.

Just curious what changed when, particularly on RT's. because of changes/differences between bikes/years, in less knowledgeable places than this forum, it's not uncommon to hear incorrect assertions about a particular model and brake function. Linked, non linked, etc. It made me wonder if there was a spreadsheet or site somewhere, as I have such reference materials for jeeps and firearms.

Go here:

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Last fall I bought an '04 R1100S Boxer Cup with iABS.

That is BMW's answer to the question NOBODY asked. Power brakes on a motorcycle? WHY???????

Last fall I bought an '04 R1100S Boxer Cup with iABS.

That is BMW's answer to the question NOBODY asked. Power brakes on a motorcycle? WHY???????

Be good for you to understand, then, that BMW is in the business of making/selling cutting edge vehicles (cars and bikes) and a great place to be cutting edge is in safety systems. Being POWER BRAKES is not really the main thing, rather the ability to make an on-the-fly adjustable integrated braking system is. This is not gone, BTW, but rather BMW has found another way to do it not involving as much complication.

No, when you're in the "cutting edge" business you don't wait around for somebody to ask--rather you're proactive.

Be good for you to understand, then, that BMW is in the business of making/selling cutting edge vehicles (cars and bikes) and a great place to be cutting edge is in safety systems. Being POWER BRAKES is not really the main thing, rather the ability to make an on-the-fly adjustable integrated braking system is. This is not gone, BTW, but rather BMW has found another way to do it not involving as much complication.

No, when you're in the "cutting edge" business you don't wait around for somebody to ask--rather you're proactive.

I do not have any problems with the integrated portion of the braking system.

I do NOT like how little force is needed on the front brake lever- when the engine is on. I stop my other bikes just fine, thank you, with a normal (unpowered) system

Then I move the bike around with the engine off and I have to constantly remember to pull on the brake lever much more than normal to stop the bike even at a walking pace.

Just a PITA, IMHO

Yes, the (virtually) no brakes without ignition on is a PITA.

I've not noticed an overly sensitive lever when riding.

Love my iabs whizzy and all. Best brakes I've ever had on a bike. Saved my butt more than once too.

Back