• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

brake system issue with a 2004 1150rt

I recently started my 2004 1150 rt after parking on an incline and found it wouldn't successfully engage the brake system. I started to pull out and found I had no power braking. Fortunately I had only gone a few feet to a stop sign in an area of light traffic. I pulled over,turned the bike off for a minute or so and started again. This time I was successful.
I recently had my 12,000 mile service ,with a complete brake flush,last month.
Has anyone experienced this event on their bike or does anyone have an idea of what could have caused this?
A bewildered rider.
John D

I recently started my 2004 1150 rt after parking on an incline and found it wouldn't successfully engage the brake system. I started to pull out and found I had no power braking. Fortunately I had only gone a few feet to a stop sign in an area of light traffic. I pulled over,turned the bike off for a minute or so and started again. This time I was successful.
I recently had my 12,000 mile service ,with a complete brake flush,last month.
Has anyone experienced this event on their bike or does anyone have an idea of what could have caused this?
A bewildered rider.
John D

When starting on the incline, were you holding the brake on when you turned on and started the bike?

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but if the '04 is like my '02 you need to drive forward after starting the bike at I think a minimum speed of 3 mph to allow the brake system to complete it's internal checks. Until you do that power braking is unavailable. You probably don't notice it under normal conditions, but when parked on an uphill grade it can be disconcerting for sure. If that is what is going on, it sounds like normal operation for brake system.

Currently having the same issue. Here's some feedback I recieved from folks on the BMW Sports Touring board.

Your problem could be one or more of a good many things but at the very top of my list would be a front or rear brake light switch sticking.

I have seen a couple of very similar problems to what your are seeing- one with a front brake lever not fully returning therefore holding the front brake switch on. And one where the rear brake switch to lever wasn't adjusted correctly again holding the switch on.

As a test-- at restart have someone look to make sure your brake light is not on. OR, manually pull the rear brake pedal up with your foot & push the front lever forward with your hand just before ride off.

If a switch sticking riding the bike a ways or using the brakes can allow the stuck switch return to operation then your ABS will do it's self test & start functioning again

To test- just back your bike up to a garage wall, or up to a car side, or even get someone to watch the light for you. Then with the key ON--VERY LIGHTLY & VERY SLIGHTLY start moving the front hand lever. You need to have a bit of noticeable lever movement before the brake light comes on. Once the brake light comes on then VERY LIGHTLY & VERY SLOWLY start letting the lever return to the unused position. If the lever only has to be moved a fraction of an inch before the brake light comes on, or it sticks on, or takes a second to go off with the lever slowly released all the way then you have problems with either the switch, switch adjustment, or possibly the lever/master cylinder is sticking a bit.

Now do the same as above only using the rear brake lever with your hand (just remember to move the rear pedal VERY LIGHTLY & VERY SLIGHTLY & release it slowly & smoothly.

If you find one end that is overly sensitive or sticks on a bit just post back with which end & what EXACTLY is happening & we can probably advise you on how to remedy it.

I'm taking the bike in for diagnosis this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed its not the Servo. Thats an expensive fix that I don't want to deal with.

Wayne

brake problems

Wayne,
Thanks for your input. I think you're right on. Remembering back I had this happen once before a couple years ago.After a long day of riding my foot pedal wasn't fully releasing toward the end of my ride. My son was following me on his bike and mentioned that my brake light was staying on at times after stopping at a light. When I stopped to get some groceries and restarted my bike that day I had that same experienced .
Have a lot on my mind and forgot about that.
Once again, thanks. John D.

Back