• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Warranty repair doesn't pay for everything...?

AjaxTheDog

I am posting here because I think this is more a general Motorrad warranty question than bike specific.

Today I had the oil sight glass replaced on my 2012 R1200RT because it has begun to seep a little oil. Since the bike had 8900 miles and is less than 3 years old this repair fell under warranty. No problem there, all went well.

However, the Tech at Foothills BMW here in Lakewood, Colorado told me that BMW does not cover consumables under warranty repairs, so I had to pay for 4 quarts of new synthetic oil and a crush washer, about $35. OK, the money isn't a big deal, but it is a little irksome that I had to pitch some perfectly good oil half way through its life and will have to do the same for this new oil if I want to stay on the 6000/12000 mile service schedule. It was this same dealership that sold the bike new and performed the 6000 miles service, so its not like there is any question about previous work. I purchased the bike a few months ago from a private party.

Last year I had some warranty work done on a 2010 K1300GT at two separate dealerships elsewhere and was never charged for consumables. Prior to that I had an 07 R1200RT and as I recall all warranty work included everything, whatever fluids were needed, at no additional cost. And that was at this same dealership!

So my question is, is this something new from BMW? Or is it just this dealership? What have you experienced recently?

Oh yeah, and the final word was they told me the service needed indicator is going to come on at the end of July even though I doubt I will be at 12000 miles by then. Thats because it is one year since the 6K service. To reset that indicator he said it would cost another $30! Hmmmmm....I kept my cool through this but afterwards I wondered what the case would be if this had happened a thousand miles or less after my last oil change. Not so good.

Ive done this:)

I have rarely had an occasion to drop oil from motor soon after a oil change, BUT have done it. Using the OIL again, drained into CLEAN pan is no big deal, THEY should have done this if you asked! Probably never was considered by them. I know oil today is no small thing, with its costs getting higher every year. The above is NOT unsafe and should have been a option to ya, imo. 35$ to me buys a tank of GSA gas and 400 miles:). OR, A real good meal or two. In an emergency on the road, sight glass repair, the bike can lie on its right side too, no oil drained! Randy

Perhaps, since you were half-way through the service cycle for your oil, they should have charged you a pro-rata fee. Yes, I'm kidding.

In my experience, I don't know of any company that covers consumables in their warranty. In my opinion, as a goodwill gesture they should waive the cost to reset the service indicator. My dealer has done that in the past.

I did ask that

I have rarely had an occasion to drop oil from motor soon after a oil change, BUT have done it. Using the OIL again, drained into CLEAN pan is no big deal, THEY should have done this if you asked! Probably never was considered by them. I know oil today is no small thing, with its costs getting higher every year. The above is NOT unsafe and should have been a option to ya, imo. 35$ to me buys a tank of GSA gas and 400 miles:). OR, A real good meal or two. In an emergency on the road, sight glass repair, the bike can lie on its right side too, no oil drained! Randy

Actually I told him that if they could, just keep the oil and refill whatever was needed because I didn't need an oil change yet. Afterward the tech said the oil was dirty so they changed it. Oil gets visibly dirty from soot after 500 miles and that is no reason by itself to change it. Like you I did also suggest that if the bike could be leaned over no oil would be needed. However I doubt that's practical for them to do in the workshop setting though, so I understand.

I agree, $35 is a pittance and is not going to make an difference in my life. The larger question however is what else is considered a consumable. Brake discs? Pads? Clutch disk? Gaskets and Seals? What's the policy and can BMW change it whenever it suits them, even after you bought a bike with a warranty? That is the question I would like clarified. Maybe a letter to BMW is in order.

If it were me and the oil was good, I would have just leaned the bike over to the right a little, and changed the sight glass no oil loss at all that way.

Oil picks up stuff, like moisture, just sitting in your crankcase. The manual states that the 6,000 service (oil change) be done every 6,000 mi or yearly, which is why the service indicator goes off at 6K OR 1 year. If I did the math correctly you have done less than 3,000 mi in the last 11 months. The oil probably was dirty, not from usage but from lack of same.
As for the service reset I think I would have a talk with the shop, or find a friend with a GS 911.

It may suck a little, but I haven't heard of anyone not being charged for consumables.
My SUV developed a rear trans seal leak. They did the job under warranty and charged me for new trans fluid. I never gave it a thought until reading this post.

In the motor vehicle industry, sometimes - or actually rather often - consequential damages are not being covered by the warranty. One part fails and the failure causes other parts to fail, you may be on your own there.

If it's any consolation to you whatsoever, I had a Pella window go bad. It was under warranty. The window was free. Installing it cost me $400.00

Mac

In the motor vehicle industry, sometimes - or actually rather often - consequential damages are not being covered by the warranty. One part fails and the failure causes other parts to fail, you may be on your own there.

This is absolutely wrong. If the bike is under warranty and Part A fails and takes out Part B the entire repair is still warranty. What does "change" and this has no effect on a consumer is what was the primary failure. The dealer needs to list the causal part and the appropriate labor code(s) for that part and then is to state all damaged parts and additional labor if required. The OEM wants to know with certainty what part failed initially. The intention is too determine if a given part needs further review for future production.

Now if you're in a scenario where the left fork seal leaks the OEM will have the right to deny a right fork seal replacement under warranty should the right side not be leaking.

As to consumables unless BMW has changed their warranty policy a consumable that is part of the warranty repair would be warranty.

I bought a BMW because I thought It stood for quality. I wish I had researched it better and read this forum before I purchased my bike. If I had know their cavalier attitude towards customers I would have looked elsewhere. They deffinately do not have my seal of approval. They are starting to make poor products and don't care.

As for the service reset I think I would have a talk with the shop, or find a friend with a GS 911.

The equipment used to perform the reset is extremely expensive to say nothing of the required support fees. In addition, the tech needs to be paid for the work performed. It's important to realize that flat rate techs get paid by the job and even if there is some type of salary involved the majority of the pay comes by the job. Not cast in stone certainly but true most of the time. By the time you pay the tech, the payroll tax burden, benefits if any, "x" amount for support fees based on an average along with equipment purchase it's easily a $20 bill more or less variable dependent.

Having said all that and knowing full well many in the customer base will be totally convinced they were ripped off and tell everybody they know they were ripped off by XYZ dealer we did it free of charge. Reasoning? Not too difficult. You don't really see that many stand-alone resets. Most resets occur while other work is being performed. I never kept track of it as a stand-alone expense but my guess is it may cost the dealer maybe $500. Maybe more, maybe less. Not enough of an expense to risk the wrath of a few customers. Better to realize it's part of the overhead and therefore it's a number included in determining the overhead and ultimately the hourly labor rate.

If it's any consolation to you whatsoever, I had a Pella window go bad. It was under warranty. The window was free. Installing it cost me $400.00

Mac

Same is true almost 100% of the time on any non-OEM accessory. The accessory itself may be covered under a warranty of some type but almost never ever the labor. Labor is too big of an expense and almost no one is willing to pick up that expense.

I bought a BMW because I thought It stood for quality. I wish I had researched it better and read this forum before I purchased my bike. If I had know their cavalier attitude towards customers I would have looked elsewhere. They deffinately do not have my seal of approval. They are starting to make poor products and don't care.

Not really true as to poor products. Most will not experience serious issues. Those that do may regret the purchase after dealing with NA.

By the way, the complainers yell the loudest. Enjoy your BMW as you will probably have many happy miles on it.

I just bought a 2012 G650GS that the 1st owner had the "hot start" issue with the MC. He took it(long ways to dealer and they didn't even have to go get the MC,he took it!) to the dealer of purchase in ATL(had 574k then) & they didn't do the service bulletin repair but proceeded to charge him: $21.51 oil,$17.02 filter kit,$215 "BMW Running In Check"/2.5hrs =total of $253.53. They used the wrong decompression lever,NC & 2 valve spacers,NC parts covered by warranty.
When he took it to the dealer in Pensacola(1169kthen) they did the correct repair & there was zero $ charge & he didn't have to transport the MC to them. The MC had 1,370k on it when I bought it & has over 2,000k now & was properly repaired 2nd time, same oil used/retained in engine.
When I saw the original bill I thought he got the shaft but kept my mouth shut.

Never been charged

I have never been charged for parts, labor or consumables on any work that was done under warranty. And some of that work was done after warranty expired

Louisville Harley BMW Louisville KY

In search of the elusive warranty statement

I guess there is room for all opinions here, but I am most interested in looking at the vehicle warranty and what is covered by it. In pursuit of that I looked all over BMW's North America website last night and could not find a vehicle warranty, but did find one for parts and accessories buried deep in the website, which is located here:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...ssories/media/WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf

This warranty for parts is quite good and runs for 24 months from the date of purchase regardless of mileage. It even covers special tools. Heck, I didn't know that! It also says that replacement parts the dealer installs are covered for 24 months or the vehicles warranty, whichever is longer, and also covers the dealers labor if he installed it. So if the dealer installs a new oil sight glass window and it starts leaking within 24 months, he's on the hook for replacing in under warranty. Not bad.

Continuing on looking for the vehicle warranty I called BMW of North America this morning and spoke to a very nice young lady about my warranty repair. She had to speak to her supervisor and then came back and said in effect that the oil is not under warranty (??!!!???). This didn't make a lot of sense to me, but since she was just parroting back something that was told to her I did not think that further questioning would yield any benefits. I then asked if they could send me or direct me to a copy of the vehicles warranty statement. She told me I would have to go back to the dealer to ask for that. Another odd response, since the warranty is from them, the manufacturer. I am a little surprised that this is not on their website since they tout it as an industry best, a vehicle selling point.

Anyway, I plan to be at the dealer tomorrow and will ask for this. Anybody want to bet against me that the dealer says I have to go to BMW for that??? Stay tuned...

In the motor vehicle industry, sometimes - or actually rather often - consequential damages are not being covered by the warranty

This is absolutely wrong. .

Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....

I guess there is room for all opinions here, but I am most interested in looking at the vehicle warranty and what is covered by it. In pursuit of that I looked all over BMW's North America website last night and could not find a vehicle warranty, but did find one for parts and accessories buried deep in the website, which is located here:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...ssories/media/WPPM_MotorradPartsStatement.pdf

This warranty for parts is quite good and runs for 24 months from the date of purchase regardless of mileage. It even covers special tools. Heck, I didn't know that! It also says that replacement parts the dealer installs are covered for 24 months or the vehicles warranty, whichever is longer, and also covers the dealers labor if he installed it. So if the dealer installs a new oil sight glass window and it starts leaking within 24 months, he's on the hook for replacing in under warranty. Not bad.

Continuing on looking for the vehicle warranty I called BMW of North America this morning and spoke to a very nice young lady about my warranty repair. She had to speak to her supervisor and then came back and said in effect that the oil is not under warranty (??!!!???). This didn't make a lot of sense to me, but since she was just parroting back something that was told to her I did not think that further questioning would yield any benefits. I then asked if they could send me or direct me to a copy of the vehicles warranty statement. She told me I would have to go back to the dealer to ask for that. Another odd response, since the warranty is from them, the manufacturer. I am a little surprised that this is not on their website since they tout it as an industry best, a vehicle selling point.

Anyway, I plan to be at the dealer tomorrow and will ask for this. Anybody want to bet against me that the dealer says I have to go to BMW for that??? Stay tuned...

Please don't confuse the facts with truth or, is it the opposite? You would think NA would have warranty info posted on their web site wouldn't you? Please don't become combative. Go to your dealer and hope for the best. Every new BMW actually comes with a document stating the warranty terms. They should be able to put their hands on that doc within a matter of seconds. Rather than go to service however try F&I or whoever is in charge of the bikes documentation. The warranty doc should be within that packet of information. Of course, it's not required to be done this way...

I have personally warrantied oil in repairs that required dropping the oil to begin with. No oil warranty if you're able to replace the part and a drop is not required.

Back