• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Whoops, how did that happen

YB in IN

Whoops, how did that happen?

So I was on my way home from school today, and I notice that it started to rain a little bit. "No big deal", I thought to myself. "I'll just have to slow down some and let it do it's thing." All this changed however when I went to stop at a stop sign. I was braking in a straight line and my back tire hit some oil or gas or something I don't know. Next thing I know, I'm airborne and I see my bike sliding it's way onto a rather busy street. I'm sure that those of you who have wrecked know that weird serenity that comes when you are in the middle of a crash. As I was going through the air the first thing that I thought was, "Hmmm now that's interesting isn't it?" After lying in the road for a short bit to make sure that I could feel everything, I noticed that there were like 10 people rushing in from all locations, most with cell phones in hand. One of them called the cops because a city officer showed up on the scene. Everyone was asking if I was alright to which I replied that I was. I then asked if someone could please turn my bike off that was still in the middle of the road running like the champ that it is. A rider who happened to be in a truck went over and hit the kill switch and then was also nice enough to pick my bike up and roll it out of the road. The cop asked for ID, and I told him rather curtly to "just hold in a second". So I got my helmet off and all that jazz, handed him my license and he again asked me if I was okay and if I needed a wrecker. I pointed at my helmet and said "I'm fine because I've got this thing on." The cop said that it was probably the best investment that anyone can make who rides a bike, to which I agreed. Long story short I hopped back on the bike and rode home. I landed right on my hip, which if I was an old dude would mean that I would have broken it, but I didn't. I've got a real nice bruise thats starting to form though. Other than that I'm in good shape. I bent my shifter lever and scraped off some fiberglass, but that'll be easy to fix. So know I'm at home and am applying cold alternately with hot and just taking it easy waiting for the painkillers to kick in. My grandpa suggested that maybe I should think about getting some training wheels.

19070160-M.jpg

19070162-M.jpg

19070165-M.jpg

Hey you have to use what you have you know? :doh

Glad to hear you're OK! Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale.
Voni
sMiling

YB, glad to hear you're okay. It's very easy to use too much rear brake on a K75S. Dropped mine in 1992...straight line stop and too much rear brake pressure = right side slide. Rarely ever use the rear brake now a days. And when I do, only very lightly. Have survived many panick stops since the '92 fall down without incident. Safe riding...

Riding Like the Wind (just back from the Dogwood Trail Rally)...

CHASMAN

Glad you're OK

Glad you're not too hurt, and your bike is running. Sorry about the mostly cosmetic stuff on the bike, though. Any chance you were on one of those really slick white crossing markings they put on the street? They turn slick as ice when they're wet.

Have a :drink

dancogan said:
Glad you're not too hurt, and your bike is running. Sorry about the mostly cosmetic stuff on the bike, though. Any chance you were on one of those really slick white crossing markings they put on the street? They turn slick as ice when they're wet.

Have a :drink

Nope no markings or anything like. Just a freak thing that happened. I just got off the phone with a dealer, and they want 70 bucks for a new shift lever, and I can't just buy a lens, I have to buy the housing and everything for 30 bucks. Time to look at ebay.

Dude, thank god you are smart and keep ice-cold Jagermeister on hand at all times! Sorry to hear about the bike and the bruised hip, but you got right back on the horse like a true champ. :thumb

dang......dang.....dang.
baaad that you dumped.
real good that you are good.
good that bike is relatively okay.
see- the real good and the good outweigh the bad.
sorry to learn of your whoops operamano.

You gotta big bruise comin...

.... but thank God you're alright.

Thanks for the tale. I hope your scooter's ok.

FWIW, keep some Stoly in the freezer just in case the Jager warms up after being pasted to your butt. :)

Ian

Happy to jump on the "Good to hear you are ok" bandwagon. Just goes to show it can happen at any time, eh?

Smart thinking, the Jager. I think a round bottle wouldn't give you the surface area you need to keep the bruise down.

Dang, Garth! Glad you're OK and emerged with bike, body and sense of humor intact.

:thumb

Try some Woodford's Reserve over ice as needed for pain relief.

Garth,

Sorry to hear of your incident, glad you are mostly well. Keep ice on the bruise, (thanks for not posting pictures of that ! ) and some alcohol taken orally.

The bikes look like it will clean up fine. Try IBMWR for parts.

Best

garth - glad you're ok! must have been surreal!

alternating hot and cold might be a mistake - hot bourbon is nasty. on ice is good, neat is ok, and up is ok too.

oh wait, you mean compresses on the hip. smart move. i fell off my mountain bike once (ok, a bunch of times) and i've got a nice permanent lump in my hip as a reminder. i'm confident that as i age, that part of my body will be able to predict the weather, and ache accordingly.

be well and good luck with the repairs.

Thanks everybody for your well wishes. I'm already scouring the internet for parts. Everything is still rideable. I'll definitely be taking y'alls advice for treatment later tonight after I get back from my opera run through. Oh, and I don't have a sword in this one, but I do get to carry around a spear.

Opera run thru?

YB in IN said:
Thanks everybody ...snip...after I get back from my opera run through. Oh, and I don't have a sword in this one, but I do get to carry around a spear.
Opera run through. Carry a spear. Now I am scared. Who are you running thru with that spear. :D :D

Sorry about your crash. Keep riding it and fix it when you can. IBMWR Marketplace is a good site. :thumb

tb

Ah, the healing and restorative qualities of J?ñgermeister... I thought that I knew them well until I saw your very creative -er- application! :D

I'm glad to hear that you and the bike are on the mend.

Whoops, how did that happen! Leads into the question of "Why Me?"

After seeing the pictures of the damage and talking to you on the phone. No big deal. I can make new running light mounts and incorporate the training wheels suggestion your Grandpa made. :p Your uncle suggests sparkly tassles and a bulb horn also. :thumb Let me know when you want to get together again.

Garths dad

Back