• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weekend riding

R

rocketman

On May 22 I Left my place in Woodbridge at 7:30 AM to head out to explore some new and old roads in West Virginia, 12 hours and 350 miles later I arrived back home. The route basically took my out Rt. 619
P1010016.jpg

to Gainesville then north on Rt. 15 to Leesburg. From there I took Rt. 9 northwest to Harpers Ferry after crossing over the Potomac River
P1010017.jpg

then on to the town of Shepherdstown WV. that dates back to the 1700's, for breakfast (the town, not the breakfast! :bliss )
I've stayed at the Inn right down the street from where this picture is taken, great little collage town.
P1010019.jpg

There is a stream that runs right though the center of town and goes though back and side yards of some the homes.

P1010021.jpg

Heading back to Rt. 9 I stopped in Hedgesville to pick up some information on some vacation properties I wanted to look at, then proceeded up Rt. 9 to Berkley Springs. I spent several hours exploring some back roads in the Cacapon Mountains,
P1010024.jpg

mostly unmarked one lane and gravel, and some I wish I could have gone up, a GS would have nice here
P1010033.jpg

headed down to Capon Springs, to look at some property on the Cacapon River
P1010030.jpg

and forded a stream that had run over the road due to a storm the night before
P1010029.jpg

and then on to Paw Paw, and finally I headed back home on Rt. 50 and back to Gainesville and Rt. 619. All told I spent 8 hours in the saddle (my newCorbin saddle is Great!) of the 12 hours I was out and spent most of my time at an elevation of over a 1000 feet and thereby missed the heat of the day down in the low land around Northern VA.
Did a lot of these kinds of roads, winding down valleys between the mountains ranges
P1010032.jpg

The highlight was finding some great new roads and ridding down Frog Eye Sirbaugh Rd!
P1010034.jpg

Started out with the sun over my right shoulder, ended the day with it still over my right shoulder, as I came home along Rt. 619, only now going east instead of west.
P1010035.jpg

Sunday Jim V., also out of Woodbridge and I met up and went to a vintage bike show, must have been several hundred vintage bikes and maybe a grand all told, the oddest one though whas this one

P1010012.jpg

Next time some one asks about motorcycle skiing, think twice!

Just my kind of weekend!

RM

That was a great post with some fantastic photos. I love that part of the country with Harpers Ferry being one of my favorite places on the east coast.

RW

Welcome

fellow Marshmallow Butt rider. (No offense, just my term for a great ride like you just took.) The only thing you forgot to do (or tell us) was taking one wrong turn!
Hey, could you get me a set of those skis for my Rockster? they would come in handy some days up here in Michigan.
Finally, a question. What is that brown thing in your windshield in photo 11? At first I thought it was a rag/chamois, then it looked like a mashed squirrel!
Really like the pic of the stream wandering through town/yards.
Great report - thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the ride RM! And thank your GF for her letting you out of the house despite the "List"!

Jim :brow

PS I posted some pics on another post.

"The List"

JimVonBaden said:
Thanks for the ride RM! And thank your GF for her letting you out of the house despite the "List"!

Never.....Stand in the way of a man and his bike despite "The List".......:D

Ya know, with summer starting to kick in, I'm really, really digging the ride reports folks are putting up. Tonight, I got to see riding in Arizona, WV and Michigan.

Awesome.

JimVonBaden said:

Well with a three day weekend coming up, I took yesterday off and got rid of the list...:bliss

I'll check out the other pics.

RM

Re: Welcome

Cliffy777 said:
fellow Marshmallow Butt rider. (No offense, just my term for a great ride like you just took.) The only thing you forgot to do (or tell us) was taking one wrong turn!
Hey, could you get me a set of those skis for my Rockster? they would come in handy some days up here in Michigan.
Finally, a question. What is that brown thing in your windshield in photo 11? At first I thought it was a rag/chamois, then it looked like a mashed squirrel!
Really like the pic of the stream wandering through town/yards.
Great report - thanks for sharing it.

Wrong turn? no such thing, now there *are* "unplaned side trips", I've taken a lot of those, as Jim can tell you on our ride Sunday, but wrong? Nope, never done that!:dunno

As Daniel Boone (or was it Fess Harper?) was qouted as saying "I've never been lost, though at times I've been might bewildered" :bliss

Thing on the shield, well could be a squirrel, but it would be pretty stinky by now as it's been on there since fall of 2000!:eek But in fact it's a face carved out of wood i found at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway on my ride in Sept. of 2000. It reminded me of Gandalf, from the Hobbit, he's been with me ever since, kind of a guide and second pair of eyes to keep me safe on my travels. (I've always had a secret desire to be a wizard/hermit and live in a cave *way* up in the mountains and walk around with a *very* knowing/wise look while everyone wonders??? :D ) I'll have take a pic of it this afternoon and post it.

RM

KBasa said:
Ya know, with summer starting to kick in, I'm really, really digging the ride reports folks are putting up. Tonight, I got to see riding in Arizona, WV and Michigan.

Awesome.
:clap :clap

Yeh saw those pics from Arizona, man now those are mountains, with a Capital "M", some day I'm gonna have cross over those a few times! So far the highest I've climbed on a bike is 6045 ft. in NC.

RM

Nice ride, and just the right distance for a relaxed day ride. My someday list had a big empty space in it for someplace really really green like that. Thanks for sharing the day with us........

:D :D :D

Re: Welcome

Cliffy777 said:

The "brown thing" from the front!

Attachments

• little-man.jpg
    little-man.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 106
Back