• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Passenger Evaluation Of GTL Ride Would Be Appreciated

calmil

EyeBiker
I've read a lot about the rider's ride response. Who can enlighten about the passenger's ride experience, including a reaction to the seat and backrest, wind, feelings of security, ease of on/off, etc.

My wife and I rode the GTL at the Bloomsburg demo. For me, the bike was very roomy -- so roomy that I couldn't tell she was riding back there. It definitely has more rider/pillion room than our RT and our HD. I understand that some people actually prefer the GT with a topcase so that rider/passenger are closer together.

From my wife's perspective (5' 5") ......

Getting on and off: the seat was easy to clear when stepping on and off -- swinging a leg over the seat was easy.

Foot position and pegs: very comfortable chair-like seating. The comfort pegs were a good size -- giving stability for stepping on and off. The knee angle was good.

Seat: very comfortable with ample seating area. The backrest was very comfortable -- as she explains, it sort of cups your back without crowding you in like a HD wrap-around backrest.

Seat height: the pillion seat was higher than she's accustomed to -- she could see somewhat over my helmet. While it provides better vision, it also exposes her to more wind. Lower windshield heights increased the wind and buffeting. It was too short a trip to say if that would be a problem on longer rides.

Security -- good hand holds, secure seating and footpegs promoted confidence in the twisties. "A very pleasant ride."

Bike -- although she loves our RT for short trips and twisties, she said the GTL feels more substantial and comfortable and after a few miles she knew it would have been a good stable and comfortable bike for the big miles.

She's got quite a bit of pillion experience having just traveled with me from FL to CA and back and she rode with me in the Bloomsburg 1000 IBA event on our RT.

She's got quite a bit of pillion experience having just traveled with me from FL to CA and back and she rode with me in the Bloomsburg 1000 IBA event on our RT.

Thanks for your response. The pillion rider's assessment will be an important detail for me as I ponder a possible purchase.

If I got a K1600GTL, I would get the normal seat instead of the low one. For me, it's just too low. Also, the normal seat would put less of a step between rider and passenger. I've only sat on one at the dealer and I didn't take the opportunity at the rally to test drive, knowing the seat was low on all the demo's (at least those that I saw). Another thing, told to me by one of the demo guys at the rally, when I mentioned some had a problem with the trunk being too far back (a comment from InterMOT): You cannot order the GT trunk mount/hand rail instead of the GTL to overcome what some have said is too much space at the backrest, but that you have to order the GT trunk mount separately in addition to what comes standard on the GTL. Hopefully, in the second year of production, they will offer the option of choice.

Back