• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Closing Ceremony

95??, hard aluminum bench, hot sun beating down, 2 hours. Not a great formula for fun. Every year I know that I will be subjected to a looong ceremony. Every year members ask that the closing be shortened.

I DO have some suggestions and I hope that I do not upset those who put so much work into making a great rally......I really enjoy being there!

This year the GS Giant was added. Couldn't this award ceremony be separated from the closing? Perhaps done before or after the rally closing?

The MOA Foundation could also be separated??

Individual awards (friend of marque, etc.) do not need to be recognized at the closing. Plenty of recognition can be given in the Owner's News and the website.

We DO need to recognize the rally chairman. They put in a lot of hard work! All of the committee heads do not need to be named. The big screens were a great place to list these.

Speaking of screens.....they were a nice addition. Did we really need to watch a video of the rally?? We spent 3 days seeing and doing these things.

I guess that my point is that the closing needs to be shortened and choreographed with time limits built in. to accomplish this goal some things will need to left out or scaled back.

Again....Please don't take my suggestions as complaints. I loved the rally! I would really like to enjoy the closing ceremony as much as I do the rest of the rally. I am sure that this could happen!

Thanks! Rob

Two Hours? Ouch. They weren't done until 8?

My closing ceremony took place at 14:00 Saturday afternoon. I turned in my radio, handed over the keys to the monster kart to one of my co-chairs and departed with my son for points east, per our original plan.

I wanted to stay for the closing but Corbett hasn't been riding long enough to do 350 miles of slab in one shot so we took two days and plenty of back roads.

The closing ceremony is many things and it's always a challenge to get it all in and keep it brief and interesting. For example while it might be better to not have something like the GS giant included a bunch of people put in a TON of work to make ti happen so they deserve a little time at the ceremony. Perhaps as a compromise they could award only the grand prize at the closing and have the rest at their own gig as you suggest.

Straw Broke The Camel's Back: The Heat/Sun

This is my 5th MOA Rally and while I always have enjoyed the closing ceremonies, it is with some sadness that the rally has ended. This year the usual awkward stage choreography of the speakers was exacerbated by the heat and sun beating down on the enclosed stadium seating. I think that everyone had just about "had it" and the added programs elements made it worse. I was embarrassed for the first-year attendees who witnessed the rudeness from some people in the stands booing and shouting.

If the Chairs read this, perhaps they could tighten things up on stage by having ONE PERSON responsible for the "MC" role and keep the show moving along by eliminating all the pauses for someone to walk 30 yards to the microphone or 15 yards to the winning ticket basket. I would have this "MC" stay at his microphone for the duration, and have a second mike for all secondary speakers. Perhaps the MC has a "producer" whose job it is to queue people up ahead of the program to ensure that no time is wasted.

The prize donors deserve their moment to speak; the recognition phase of the program has a long tradition; this year's GS Giant was a big time-waster and didn't deserve the amount of program time it took.

I could go on but you get the idea, right?

Thanks for listening, had a great time!

Mark

The prize donors deserve their moment to speak; the recognition phase of the program has a long tradition; this year's GS Giant was a big time-waster and didn't deserve the amount of program time it took.

Mark

For the 100+ riders that participated in the GS Giant events which began on
July 9th and ran through the rally, I think they deserved their moment. We were pleasantly surprised at the number of people who came out for the track competition. I did not expect so many in the grandstands and on the field watching the events and cheering on the Giants. It helped make for a successful and worthy addition to the rally offerings.

I have to say, in my opinion, that the GS giant "made" the closing ceremonies. Judging by the reaction of the crowd, I was not alone in this feeling. That young man, crashing onto the course and getting his new bike dirty, to me at least, was the best part of the ceremony.

I was a first time attendee, and the crowds reaction to the flame cars was expected by the third pass....they even asked them to shoot them off further down the track...but no they had to do it in front of the grandstands.

Worst part was giving away the new bike...what a let down, person who won did not have to be in attendance, so for all those who waited, it was a little of a let down. Congratulations to the person who did win, it was a great looking bike.

I have to say, in my opinion, that the GS giant "made" the closing ceremonies. Judging by the reaction of the crowd, I was not alone in this feeling. That young man, crashing onto the course and getting his new bike dirty, to me at least, was the best part of the ceremony.

It was definitely a hit.

I also like the idea of making the MC and producer separate gigs.:)

Kudos to the Security/Gates guys for hauling water. I was a bit dissapointed when I helped carry several of the little pallets up to the top of the stands to distribute, that some complained that they weren't cold.:banghead Guess you'll have that.:dunno

While the booing was a disappointment to me, I think all of us on the stage understood, and took no offense. At least we had some shade - - many of the people in the stands did not. We were all aware of that fact.

We all agree that the awards ceremony went on too long. We will try to do better.

Do it for the audience, not the organizers

While the booing was a disappointment to me, I think all of us on the stage understood, and took no offense. At least we had some shade - - many of the people in the stands did not. We were all aware of that fact.

We all agree that the awards ceremony went on too long. We will try to do better.

Experience shows that you will say that but not do it. I have seen some emcees (name names?) who have gone on for well over two hours. I have also produced two CCs that ran an hour and an hour and ten minutes. Here is the difference:

Recognize this fact: the closing ceremonies should be produced for the benefit of the audience, not the glory of the emcee, the chairmen, or the vendors. It is nice and OK that they are thanked, but they don't need to give speeches, walk clear across the stage (or worse, up from the bleachers), and so forth. Just the use of a working outline, a couple of side stage assistant producers (lining up who is next out), and careful attention to what the audience should/could enjoy is what's needed. The trouble with the 2-1/2 hour closing ceremonies is that nobody thinks of it from the audience's point of view. They want to thank all their volunteer friends, hear lots of their lovely voice, and waste the audience's time on things that the audience doesn't care about. The audience does care about thanking the volunteers, but not fifteen minutes worth. The audience doesn't care about the minutia about the selected charity, just seeing a check presented and a handshake and a wave. Awards can be presented without waiting for each person to walk across the stage and back, worse yet, give an impromptu speech.

If you like the expensive video screens, spend a couple of dollars more, and show us lighted faces, not silhouettes against the setting sun. Visually, I couldn't tell the difference between Greg and Vance.

I don't think the CCs should glorify one or two vendors like Revzilla this year. It runs contrary to producing for the benefit of the audience. A deep pocketed vendor should not be able to co-opt the ceremonies for his benefit. This should become Rally policy.

The producer should never be the emcee. The qualities are mostly mutually exclusive. Each segment should have a time limit of just a minute or so. I didn't need to see a video AND hear about seven minutes about the GS events, even if they did consume 100 pounds of roast beef. Handing the emcee's microphone to anyone not scripted is your best chance of boring the audience, BMW Bob notwithstanding.

Last, but surely not least, MOA should prohibit the requirement that prize winners be at the closing ceremonies. They were at the rally, or they wouldn't win. Mostly, it just encourages the vendors to get a chance to appear on stage, and goes on endlessly when the winners left early. It is enough that their company name gets prominently announced to the audience.

To restate: The producer(s) of the closing ceremonies should be working for the benefit of the BMW riders in the audience, not the rally administrators. It should be more tightly produced to do as much with less time, and the emcee should be working for the producer, not the love of attention.

I produced two CCs in past years with these principles. About an hour and ten minutes seems the perfect time. We checked off all the necessary boxes, shook all the hands and said all the thanks. We gave away all the prizes, and except for a faulty PA system and bipolar announcer, once, nobody told me we missed somebody.

Do it for the audience and MOA. It is your one chance per year to put your best foot forward, personally, for upwards of 20-25% of our membership.

First, thank you Ian, Vance to Vince for putting it together, the media was great.

IMO awards need to be pre-drawn to move folks quicker. Too many no shows and in many cases confused by folks cheering for no one there. Onlookers should boo themselves because YOU lenghtened this event.

GS Giant : This was a sponsored event by Twisted Throttle and Revzilla who paid BIG to be here. The GS GIant was the "first time" that anyone was recognised at closing since GS events were offered in the past 4 years and with the magnitude of the prize worth as much or more than the grand prize it should get a billing. :thumb But I know lets add that to the age war and eliminate that event. :dunno

The closing could have been at the band shell with shade and close to the Beer Tent, a perfect place to stick the big screen TV so folks can feel at home........maybe get a few more tokens in the MOA War Chest :wave

I agree with Rob an early start would be better.

Last edited:
Bottom line...2 hours is a tough sell, period

While the shouting and booing was in poor taste, having people sit still for *anything* approaching two hours is a tough sell, regardless of circumstances, and especially not in a sweltering grandstand facing the setting sun. I agree on a comment about having a dynamic emcee who can engage with the audience and keep things moving.

And just like the Academy Awards, if any speech drones on past the allotted 90 seconds or whatever, the band begins playing to drown you out. :rofl)

We had planned to be at the awards ceremony but the venue and time were not appropriate for our, my wife and I's non-tolerance to heat. This became quite apparent when vendors were telling me that I did not look right. And yes, I was drinking water.

For us the choice was simple either a very small chance of winning a door prize or staying cool. We went back to our room at BU.

To those that were able to make it through I say Bravo!

The best closing ceremony is none. Period, Exclamation Point.
I personally skip all of them because it is the same agonizing drone of those that truly believe someone wants to hear them when it is only their ego wanting recognition.

You have a magazine and web site to recognize the efforts of the volunteer staff.

The single best closing ceremony ever held at a BMW Rally was at the RA rally in WV. The rally chair stood up and said that because of internet problems, she had no results to report. Ceremony Over !!!

This problem is not unique to the BMW rallies. I have had the same bad experience when working with Boy Scout, Rotary, Police Volunteer, and Hospital Auxiliary events. I personally volunteer to help with an event, not to get recognized by others.:banghead

Revzilla stepped up in a big way for the rally and deserved recognition for that. That said, I ended up spending my money with other vendors (due to what I needed to buy) as did many others, so the smaller vendors also got what they came for; revenue.

The many redraws for prizes certainly lengthened the event as did the video and vendor speeches. It would have been great if they could have put the winner's name and ticket number up on the video screens.

The heat of the flame cars was ridiculous... I had one woman cower behind me to escape it!

I know the rally chairs spent a lot of time planning the event, including the closing ceremony, and they certainly deserve a round of applause for that. And please don't forget, they can't control the weather!

National

Thanks for a great time! Yes, HOT as all heck and Iraq in 2005 was more comfortable at times! My 1985 K100RT with 62K on her ran like a true BMW machine and averaged 40 MPG during the short 545 mile weekend.
As far as closing ceremonies go- flaming cars are "cool" but one pass would have been just fine... No need to keep it going around & around.. Would have been more fun watching old rigid airheads do laps on the oval track for a trophy!
Yes to many of the suggestions posted- post the results on the web & in the magazine. Encourage folks to join our BMW-ON & MOA. "We are family"... Don't drag things on and certinally there should have been water passed out or maybe even sprayed our way. Once you said "You don't need to be present to win this bike" there were 5,000+ heads raising up and heading for the exits..
You'll never please everyone & thats what is so unique and amazing about a collective group of folks that ride & enjoy BMW's. All walks of life coming together to have a good time. You pick the events, lectures, bands and roads YOU want to enjoy. So many roads, so little time!
Again- Thank you & I had fun at my 4th National!
Semper-Fidelis,
George J. Blackham IV
1stSgt, USMC (Ret) 82'-07'
Johnstown, Pa
LHBMWRC- V. Pres.
MOA # 88408

GS Giant topic at Closing Ceremony

I'm glad that we got some feedback after my comments. I certainly did not disparage the GS Giant concept, ONLY the AMOUNT of time spent on it relative to other worthy topics:

To requote myself: "GS Giant was a big time-waster and didn't deserve the amount of program time it took."

Roast beef consumption mentioned several times, etc., we got it.

The Emcee/producer tight "live TV" format is now on the table.

Great feedback, I hope they are listening!

Mark

Sorry to Vance and everyone up on stage

I really felt sorry for Vance and the crew up on stage. I would like to volunteer to do the closing ceremonies if Vance and Mari decide not to next year.
I have a few suggestions, that I would like some from the members of the organization.
First, what do you guys, and gals want in the closing ceremonies?
A few suggestions I have:
If awards are to be given out, possibly start a half hour early for awards, then give the prizes out after the 30 minutes or set time. That way if a person wants to see the award portion, they have that option. But if you are coming in for the prizes only, which i understand completely, be courteous to others and don't distract from the ceremony in progress.
I think the vendors who donate the prizes should be allowed to speak. They are giving away a good chunk of money, and should be given a few minutes to plug their product, store or business.
Here is another idea. The MOA gives a bike away every year, how does the group feel about bringing the bike to the rally? If someone is there, that wins the bike, they rarely can take the bike with them, so it gets hauled back to the moa office. Seems like a waste of time and energy, just to look at a bike. If you win the bike, whether you are at the closing ceremonies or not, you can make arrangements to pick the bike up at the office after the rally.
These are just some ideas. You can reply to this or email me at ffd95@att.net
Thanks,
Brad Doyle
the truck driver

We skipped it.

We decided to skip the closing cermony, expecting a long drawn out affair. We were having dinner and some cold drinks about that time.

Why did we skip it? As with other rally's I've been to, it seems the organizers want to hold you hostage for a chance to win a prize. Enduring too much self-aggrandizement.

So here are my comments in an attempt to help:

1) What is the purpose? Is it to thank the volunteers? Is it to make on last vendor advertisement? Is it to put on a show? I think some thought into the purpose might help to streamline it.

2) If you hold people hostage for prizes, the whole thing starts out with a bad taste. Award the dang prizes ahead of time, find the winners and have them there to receive.
I actually felt a little cheated, where my dues and rally fees not as "valuable" to the organization as those who endured the ceremony? I was not there by choice, what about the folks who had to leave sat am to make it home?

The earlier comments about making it about the attendees and not the vendors and volunteers makes sense to me. Have a volunteer hour at the beer garden and shower them with praise (they deserve it). The vendors are there to make money, if they are there for their ego's, I question their intentions. It's simple advertising, product placement, and name recognition for them, and that's what they pay for. Can't see as they need to be "thanked" so much, almost resembles begging to me.

I say all this with absolute praise for the rally organizers and in an attempt to make next time even better. We had fun!

Back