• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Barber Weekend

A good friend of mine started racing in SCCA racing a few years ago. This gives me a good excuse to visit some of the great race tracks in the southeast. This weekend I had the opportunity to go to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham Alabama. I had heard alot about the track and the museum from various sources as well as this forum, but I have to emphasize that if you love motorcycles, this is really a trip you have to take.

Getting ready Saturday a.m.

Attachments

• barber 1.jpg
    barber 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 156
It almost looks like a matchbox collection. Barber has numerous displays that are set up just like this

Attachments

• barber 3.jpg
    barber 3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152
Another. I was told that Barber does not have a vehicle in this museum that is not fully functional. The lower level of the museum is for rebuilding bikes and they do not go on diplay until they can be ridden

This one was from Rommel's African Korps.

Attachments

• barber 5.jpg
    barber 5.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 203
Another nice one. In the background you can see the action going on at the track

Attachments

• barber 6.jpg
    barber 6.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 198
There were over 500 bikes in the museum at the time of my visit. Barber supposedly has another 300 bikes at a warehouse somewhere in Birmingham. Anyway it is the largest privately owned collection in the U.S.

Attachments

• barber 8.jpg
    barber 8.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 200
One last beauty. I was also told that the racetrack, which was designed as a motorcyle track, was orginally started as a private track for Barber to exercise his collection. It was only later that he decided to open it to various other motorsport events. A really nice place. I didn't post any pictures of the track since I used my 35 mm camera for the actual racing that took place that weekend but the track is extremely fan friendly and is well liked by the guys running there over the weekend.

Attachments

• barber 7.jpg
    barber 7.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 196
Home sweet home. Unicoi gap Georgia approximately 2 miles from the house. Always glad to get back home after traveling through Atlanta on a weekend.

Attachments

• barber 9.jpg
    barber 9.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 137
WOW! is all I can say. I've heard of the track but I had NO idea that they had such an amazing museum there. That is going on "the list"

RW

Thanks for the photos, I was unaware of the track and the museum. I will have to take a trip out there.:D

I have visited the museum several times when it was at the old location. I can hardly wait to see the new facility. I do have one question though. I really enjoyed the pics you posted, and am wondering if they now allow cameras into the museum. If I remember correctly, there was a sign when entering the old location stating that there were no cameras allowed.

WOW!
That is some great old iron. I have added this to my list of must get to places. Thanks for the report, and the pictures were outstanding, particularly like the Africa Korp bike. Thanks.

Cameras

Don,
There is a sign that says you cannot take pictures for publishing but are welcome to take pictures for personal use. One other thing that I think is really cool is that these bikes as well as the cars in the collection are not roped off; you can walk right up to them and really look closely at them. Hopefully people will respect the signs that say to do not get on the bikes and they will continue to be as accessible as they now are.

James O

Back