• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sell me your stock 2003/4 K1200RS seat.

Sell me your stock 2003/4 K1200RS seat. (FOUND!)

I have a 03 KGT and just finished sitting on the BMW lower height heated seat for the GT, Sargent's world sport seat and a stock 2004 RS seat. It's the RS seat for me. Anyone got a like new one you want to sell? (I found a seat. Thanks)

Last edited:
I have the same bike, what was so great about the RS seat????

Blue Rider said:
I have the same bike, what was so great about the RS seat????

That's not an easy question to answer. It's like when you sit on all the Beemer's at your dealership and then you hit the "correct" one for you. How do you explain why it was correct for you to someone else? Well, I'll give it a try. With the bike on the center stand my wonderful dealer "Harold" at Foothills BMW Lakewood (Denver) mounted up the lower height BMW heated seat for the GT, then the WorldSport seat by Sargent, then a new 2004 stock RS seat. I tried all these seats with the bike on the center stand and the RS seat just "fit". I am 5' 9" with around a 29" to 30" inseam. I'm pretty husky. The Sargent felt flat and the low BMW felt rounded like a low version of the stock GT seat. All the seats were wider at the front than the stock RS seat. The RS seat has a nice feeling cup to it and added to the sitting in it instead of on it feel. I like this. With the bike off the center stand I was flat footed with the RS seat. With the stock GT seat I'm tip toed and with the other two due to the wider front section my heals hovered just above the floor but not touching it. Flat footed at the stop sign or backing out of a parking space rocks. I donÔÇÖt want to trade the stock GT seat. Some day my wonderful SO might get on this thing with me and then IÔÇÖll put the big comfort seat back on. SheÔÇÖs a little thing but with her added weight and full luggage the bike should squat enough for me to be flat footed at stop signs. The perfect seat would be the stock GT comfort seat rear with the stock RS seat front. Oh well. So, howÔÇÖd I do?

You did Great!!! Like you said its hard to say what's right for someone else. I like the GT seat but I'm always looking for anything that would make the ride even more enjoyable. My wife loves the comfort and ride of the stock seat all though she doesnt get to ride as much as I would like.

On another issue I believe you said you had a Laminar Lip on your bike and liked its performance. The quiet zone is just out of adjustment range so I have bit the bullet and have one coming. We are heading for Daytona next week so I will have plenty of seat time to see the difference.

Did you say earlier that you had brought the grips back on your GT ? If so how did it work out? I would like to have the grips back but not raised. There are a few different after market products that will do this but all want to raise the grips which puts your hands in the cold wind more than I would like.

Thanx Much
Blue Rider

Blue Rider said:
My wife loves the comfort and ride of the stock seat.

Good to know. Haven't had the SO back there yet but looks comfy to me.

Blue Rider said:
On another issue I believe you said you had a Laminar Lip on your bike and liked its performance. The quiet zone is just out of adjustment range so I have bit the bullet and have one coming. We are heading for Daytona next week so I will have plenty of seat time to see the difference.

You must be about the same height as me. I was just on the edge of the quiet zone as well. If this is true you'll be amazed at the difference. By the way. With the shield all the way down so your getting air the air will be smoothed out and much more pleasant.

Blue Rider said:
Did you say earlier that you had brought the grips back on your GT ? If so how did it work out? I would like to have the grips back but not raised. There are a few different after market products that will do this but all want to raise the grips which puts your hands in the cold wind more than I would like.

I don't think you'll find bar backs that aren't in fact bar risers. Here's the ones I installed. RCU Bar Risers

Best of Both?

Only as a possibility. Find a decent deal on the seat whose back is best & take it to an upholsterer. They can "open up" the nose & trim back the foam until you like it, then rewrap the cover. I've made pans and/or sculpted foam for 3 different machines I've owned (2 custom builds & R1200C). I then have covers made by a pro. A real pro will turn out something only a few will know isn't stock.

Back