• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Can K75 handle two heated jackets?

mark from maine

Was looking at the Warm and Safe website and the men's liner uses 100 watts and the women's 90 watts. Will my 91 K75 RT be able to handle it? The only additional access. is a GPS. Oh, and the stock heated grips. Thanks for your input.

Mark from Maine

Was looking at the Warm and Safe website and the men's liner uses 100 watts and the women's 90 watts. Will my 91 K75 RT be able to handle it? The only additional access. is a GPS. Oh, and the stock heated grips. Thanks for your input.

Mark from Maine

Hey Mark, the later K75 bikes had a 700 watt alternator (plenty for all your heated gear), earlier ones are 460 watts.

You can see the alternator on the right side of my '95 K75 and it has a 50 on it, meaning 50 amps. (50 amps x 14 volts equals 700 watts) I don't know if the 460 watt alternator is marked like that or not. Expect to see a number around 33.

This bike is new to me and I haven't dug too deeply into it, but I'd also expect to see a 50 amp main fuse in the fuse box. If your main fuse is around 30 amps, you'll be on the borderline to support one heated vest, but not two.

If you go with the heated gear or other high power add-ons like lights, it's important to monitor your battery voltage to make sure it keeps charging, otherwise it's easy to drain the battery. The battery is 12.6 - 12.8 volts at full charge. If the voltage stays above that, you're in good shape. Below that for long enough -- you'll have to get off and push.

Check out this thread: Alternator conversion

Last edited:
:type Thanks that was a nice article from the past. My bike has 2 55 watt hologen deer fogs,heated grips, the batt volts stays @12.6-13.0.I have an outlet plug under the left side cover and it runs the GPS,the 200 watt a/c adapter (for the tv,dvd,shortwave(alnico sidebander) I liked that don had found all the extra parts for the upgrade, to will be scanning Ebay for the higher amp alt. Thanks and good luck..Michael.:german :gerg :ca :beer

Thanks for the prompt replies. So, let's add this up. Two heated jackets @ $160 or so each. Two heat controllers at $60 each. Used alternater @ $175. Total of $615 to stay warm and cozy. Maybe i'll buy my girlfriend a nice turtleneck instead.;)

Mark from Maine

Back