• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuse blocks

arroz

Both "fuzeblock" and "centech" advertize in our magazine. any opinion as to which is better or are there any other recommended?

They are somewhat different.

The Centech controls a power input and distributes it to multiple fused circuits. If you want switched power (eg, turns on and off with the key) you have to supply a separate relay. I believe that the Centech can handle up to 30amps per circuit.

The Fuzeblock comes with an integrated relay. By choosing which pair of clips you put an individual circuit's fuse into, you get direct or switched power. In this way it's more flexible than the Centech. However, the Fuzeblock can only handle 30amps total, through all of the circuits attached to it. (That's about 360 watts.)

That might not be enough if you want to run two powerful driving lights and two full electric suits, all at once, for example. (Of course, if you have loads like this and you wanted the flexibility that a Fuzeblock affords, you could run two of them in parallel.)

I have both mounted on different bikes; 2 Centecs and 3 Fuseblocks. As Darryl mentioned the Fuseblock has some limitations, but is an easier and neater install. The items that can normally exceed the Fuseblock's 10 amp per circuit or 30 amp total capacity are aux lites and heated gear. I've gotten around this by using LED lites that are well under the limit or in one case by establishing a separate fused circuit straight to the battery for the over 10 amp circuit.

Can't say which is better but I installed the Centech that purchased from Excel Cycle Werkes. Comes complete (wiring, instructions) and ready to install...easy, easy, easy.

That might not be enough if you want to run two powerful driving lights and two full electric suits, all at once, for example. (Of course, if you have loads like this and you wanted the flexibility that a Fuzeblock affords, you could run two of them in parallel.)

But then, the charging system (alternator) may be the limitation...

IMO, the Centech is more of the "older" technology and it is perfect for me: easy to understand, easy to fix, easy to manage. Just the perfect match for an airhead.

The Fuzeblock, IIRC, does not have fuses but internal relays... I have no idea what is going on in this box and do not want to know... :D

But then, the charging system (alternator) may be the limitation...

IMO, the Centech is more of the "older" technology and it is perfect for me: easy to understand, easy to fix, easy to manage. Just the perfect match for an airhead.

The Fuzeblock, IIRC, does not have fuses but internal relays... I have no idea what is going on in this box and do not want to know... :D

The Fuzeblock is very simple technology. It uses fuses, just as the Centech does. The difference is that each fuse can be inserted in one of two ways; one way supplies power direct from the battery; the other gets its power from an on board relay that is controlled by a switched power lead.

P2267311.JPG

This is the inside of a Fuzeblock. The input wires are on the left: brown and black are battery ground and power. The small red lead is switched power and controls the relay that is mounted just to the right. You can also see that the Fuzeblock has space to carry a couple spare fuses.

In my case, I only installed one circuit for a Powerlet plug. (I have plans to add a couple more, later.) You can see the fuse for that on the far right. The black and red leads in that area go to the Powerlet plug. The way that 10amp fuse is installed makes the plug a switched power plug, but if it were installed into the two lower slots, it would make the plug hot all the time. Each of the 6 circuits can be individually chosen to be switched or always on.

This pic is from my Fuzeblock installation on my R1200ST, and I took the switched power from the existing power plug (which is switched). On an Airhead, a suitable switched source is the taillight or parking light. The draw for this is very small. A Fuzeblock should be completely adequate to handle any power chores on an Airhead.

Another alternative is from Eastern Beaver. I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer. They have several power distribution setups designed to get around the "challenges" presented by canbus electrics. I particularly like that the fuse blocks are sealed with a watertight cover. If they don't make the exact configuration you want, they can do a custom unit.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Here's the setup on my F800ST:
DSCN0824642x855.jpg

Dave, I have the same Eastern Beaver fuse lock on my bike, powering a Zumo 660 on and off with the key, and the inside components of a tank bag, hot all the time for compressor and such, but drawing no power when not in use. I connect much that way when the bike is use.

accessories

I have had the centech installed on two bikes and have had no problems. I ordered the units from Excel Cycle Werkes with their install and relay kits. Great company to order from. Just give them a call, I don't think they take internet orders. 309-244 7405. they attend most national rallys.

+1 on the Eastern Beaver and the amazing quality of the unit (not to mention the customer support)!

The beaver

Leave it to Eastern Beaver...........

support is a response email away....great product great support

Another very satisfied Eastern Beaver customer.

Their site has a comparison between Centech and their Power Center- go to the bottom of this page: Power Center

Also I have to highly recommend their headlight relays. If you have an older (pre-canbus?) BMW, the headlight wires are, let's say, inadequate. When I saw how thin the headlight wires were on my '93 K-RS, it was a no-brainer that they needed help, even with a stock wattage bulb.

EB ships fast and Jim will make sure you get what you need. If you email him he will respond.

I have Fuzeblocks on 5 of my bikes. Piece of cake to install, its clean, neat and powers all the stuff I have (Gerbings, LED lights, GPS, camera, etc)

Back