• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150Rt. New to these bikes.??

I am a newbie to RT's and mush more a newbie to this one. I have a R1150rt-p 2003 version.
Today I was going for a short ride but the battery was down and would not start. Got it going with a jump start, but as soon as I hit the brake the engine died, any suggestions?
Seems strange to me but then I know very little about these bikes and the systems on them.
I might add that I took a 1100 mole trip on this bike last weekend and it worked perfectly.

I am a newbie to RT's and mush more a newbie to this one. I have a R1150rt-p 2003 version.
Today I was going for a short ride but the battery was down and would not start. Got it going with a jump start, but as soon as I hit the brake the engine died, any suggestions?
Seems strange to me but then I know very little about these bikes and the systems on them.
I might add that I took a 1100 mole trip on this bike last weekend and it worked perfectly.
Welcome to the forum! The BMW's are pretty fussy on battery voltage. This thread may be more than you wanted to know but there is a lot of good info- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70495-Starter-or-Battery-2004-R1150RT
OM

Bike dying with brake

I found the problem. The cheap ass Interstate battery would not charge up past 11.5 volts. The worst part is that I bought the sorry thing.
I learned a lesson here, you do really get what you pay for most of the time.

Welcome to the forum! The BMW's are pretty fussy on battery voltage. This thread may be more than you wanted to know but there is a lot of good info- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70495-Starter-or-Battery-2004-R1150RT
OM

You should also check out bmwsporttouring.com if you haven't already. Lots of tech info in the archives. I have the 03R1150Rt as well. Takes a little getting used to the constantly linked ABS brakes, but they work well.

BMW sport touring

Thanks I was just there looking at the site.
My 1150rtp has been a great experience. In fact I traded off my K1600 GT for a new
R1200rt this weekend because I prefer the RT's
Thanks

QUOTE=bmw_rider;905875]You should also check out bmwsporttouring.com if you haven't already. Lots of te

ch info in the archives. I have the 03R1150Rt as well. Takes a little getting used to the constantly linked ABS brakes, but they work well.[/QUOTE]

I am far from knowledgeable, but I can tell you from direct experience that a number of seemingly unrelated symptoms can manifest as a result of low voltage. My '04 RT-P used to blow the horn at half volume when the key was on but the engine wasn't running. New battery fixed that.

Back