• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AVOID CHICAGO TRAFFIC: Lake Express Ferry DISCOUNT For Rally

Hello All

This past week I met with Kay Collins from the Lake Express Ferry and managed to get a 10% off discount for MOA members who are going to the National Rally in Lima.

The ferry runs several times during the day.

PLEASE SEE THE LAKE EXPRESS FERRY WEBSITE FOR PRICES:

http://www.lake-express.com/

Lake Express has asked that you CALL in your reservation and mention you are with the BMW MOA to get your discount.

If you don't like to drive through Chicago, this is a great alternative.

Sweet!

Beats the hell out of going through Chicago and across the Skyway. I usually try to be acrosss the skyway by 5:00am because there is ALWAYS traffic. Great alternative, and not just for the MOA.

Thanks,
Dr. Raoul Duke

The Ferry is a good idea

gsmetal said:
If you don't like to drive through Chicago, this is a great alternative.

It's true; I've used this ferry three times last year. They are really friendly, and provide tiedowns. There's almost always room for your bike, but you need a reservation for your butt. The price seems fair.

However, it's not much of a shortcut for going to Lima. The main advantage is avoiding what we used to call 'da rejun' - Chicago, Hammond and Gary - three of the outstanding garden cities of our proud nation. It will save about 70 miles, but will take you about 3 hours for the cruise - one for being 1/2 half hour early and 1/2 hour for unloading.

They have decent food and coffee on board, and the jet ferry is clean and well run.

Keep one thing in mind: the weather. Last summer, they would not run in >five foot seas ('lakes'?).

Which is OK by me :sick

5 Foot waves

Actually the ferry can run in 5 foot waves.

It's the passengers who can't stomach it. :stick

While in dry dock this winter they are putting a few more stabilizers on it to smoothen out the ride for next year.

Illinois tolls

Another good reason to avoid Chicago is that unless you have an I-Pass for the toll ways all of the tolls have DOUBLED, yes doubled. On I90 to go from Wisconsin border to Chicago is now $4.00 and depending on route you take around or through Chicago this could easily double.

Good to know...

Using Mapquest, which doesn't necessarily show you the shortest or most interesting routes, I could save like 60 miles, and avoid Chicago, and take a boat ride across Lake Michigan.

With some maps, and some creative routing, I could do much better.

IF I go, this will be the route I take.

eff Chicago

I thought I was going to Crack going thru Chicago on the way to Spokane last year! What a nightmare it was with 90 degrees,a black Darien & road work. It was one of the worst experience's of my life! Once the traffic got moving there was a toll booth to slow you down ! I will never go near the place ever again. I hate the "Cubs, Bear's & even the Band now! Don't mention the name to me !

OK! I feel better. I will take a ride on this Express though! :brow

Avoid Chicago Traffic (From W/NW - to East i.e. SW corner)

See My Post
Skirting The SW Corner of Chicago to Lima
tom42n 12-11-2004 08:56 PM
by tom42n 0 104 Rally Forum
(I am still working on the details, between snows and beers). :)

Owosso

Print and save this message.
If westerners taking Lake Michigan Ferry to Lima, you will pass quite close to Owosso MI near Lansing MI. Need a place to pitch a tent over night? I have a big back yard, a shower, coffee pot and a campfire pit. You are welcome.
Send a private message for directions and phone number.
Oh yes, I am in the Anonymous book too.
Fritz in Owosso

Last edited:
chicago traffic blues

We took 30 to the AMA vintage days last year and really enjoyed the ride.
It goes right through Lima.

Gmac
:thumb

limited motorcycle space remaining-Lake Express

just a quick update on the Lake Express option; made my reservation on 3-9-05 (Kathy was most helpful) and discovered that for the 12:30pm departure from Milwaukee on 7-20-05 there were only 10 motorcycle parking slots available; hope this helps anyone who was planning this mode.

Back