• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do I need to have a battery in my R60/2?

gbagen

Proud Trial Lawyer
If all it does is light the lights with the engine off or slowly idling, and I never ride at night, do I really need to keep putting batteries in it every few years? What's the downside to just leaving the bike without one?

Under the conditions you describe, and as long as it's legal to not have a light, you don't need a battery. I believe you should leave the connections open, probably should put some tape over the ends to prevent them from contacting the frame. Some have said that there might be a downside in that the output from the generator has no place to go and the regulator might be harmed. I've also heard people mention they've done this for years with no apparent ill effects.

/2 battery

Does the brake light work with no battery installed?

Yes, as long as the motor is running fast enough to put out some juice. The brake light will be very dim at idle, but should light.

Friedle

Everyting seems to work fine. I can just rev a little at lights. I only ride the old R60 a few hundred miles a year anyway. Just to get Sidecar Molly out to charm the neighbors . (See pic at Airhead pics forum.)

This is from the AMA site. NY motorcycle law.
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law, modulating headlight permitted.

This is from the AMA site. NY motorcycle law.
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law, modulating headlight permitted.

The topic is about haviving a battery and headlight, my piont is -
"Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law" that is in NY state where the bike is located. The modulating headlight just happened to be in the law.

For $35 you can buy a 6V battery tender. I've used one for years. I have a 9 year old battery for my /2 that still works fine. Treat your battery right and you won't have to replace it.

Running without a battery is hard on the lights. You will blow more bulbs than you would with a ballast (eg, battery) in the system, helping to absorb the shocks of constantly varying voltage and current.

The topic is about haviving a battery and headlight, my piont is -
"Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law" that is in NY state where the bike is located. The modulating headlight just happened to be in the law.

But if it is registered as an antique then some of the laws may not apply. I know that in VA for an antique machine brake lights, turn signals etc fall under diferant rules. in fact, you don't even need turn signals, do need some sort of brake light but it doesn't have to be real bright. some it also depends on "original equipment" rules, if it came with it, it should have it.

so you may want to check NY laws for older machines asuming you have it registered as an antique. there are a lot of leaway, but also lots of restrictions.

RM

I had a 1964 Bonneville that had a Mity Max system, so it had no battery. It started and ran fine. It got no notice from the cops, and I never had any trouble with light bulbs or other parts of the system.

I had a 1964 Bonneville that had a Mity Max system, so it had no battery. It started and ran fine. It got no notice from the cops, and I never had any trouble with light bulbs or other parts of the system.

Each state has different requirements for lighting. WA, for example, requires headlights on during the day, regardless of how the bike was originally equipped or year of manufacture or even if it has "Horseless Carriage" antique plates. CA doesn't care about headlights, even if the bike was originally equipped with always on lights.

I have no idea what a Mity Max system is, but as I suspect that the Bosch generator and voltage regulator are somewhat different, this may or may not apply. I've never had to run my 6V BMWs without a battery, but I've been told by several people that it shortens bulb life.

The lights are on when the engine is running, so I don't think that the lighting laws are a factor. I only ride the /2 a few hundred miles a year, all daylight and all good weather. The battery seems un-necessary. Bulb life is an insignificant concern with this usage. I have the trickle charger, but my last battery still only lasted a few years before it started piling corrosives on the terminal. I can't see why I should bother buying another.

I can't see why I should bother buying another.

You do it because modern AGM batteries are cheap (less than $30 - you can afford that) and long lasting (see my post above) and you love your BMW motorcycle.

You do love her, don't you?

32644.jpg

Back