• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS Navigator IV install 2006 R1200RT

patricio66

I am working to install a Nav. IV on my 2006 R1200RT. I bought the mount and the cradle and in attempting to hard wire the cradle, I cannot find the supposedly in existance 'plug-in' for switched power. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plugs

Pat, I seem to remember reading that in the early model RT's the GPS power plug was pretty well hidden, not out and easily found like it is on later models. I vaguely remember a picture of the plug clipped up behind the right side mirror but I could have dreamed that too.

There is a very long thread about this in another forum at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59878 . It will take a while to read but as I recall there was information about locating the plug on earlier models too besides all the info on late models. Sorry I could not be of more help, but maybe this will get you closer.

Hidden plug

I will check that out. Thanks for your help.
I found a connector that I at first thought was just a capped end. The whole piece was zip tied to the subframe and it is taped onto the harness. There are three wires into a black plastic cap on the end.

I will check that out. Thanks for your help.
I found a connector that I at first thought was just a capped end. The whole piece was zip tied to the subframe and it is taped onto the harness. There are three wires into a black plastic cap on the end.

No question the factory connector comes capped. Remove and dispose of the cap. Should then be easy to determine if the connector on your NAV IV will mate. It's NOT a "generic" connector and if it does fit it WILL be the correct harness to connect to. AFAIK the only other capped/unused connector you may find is one for a second horn, and that connector for sure isn't the same (and has only two wires). Although ... if your bike has factory sound system there could be a second NAV IV connector to that.

Plugged and Powered

Well, I dug back into the area around the steering head and took another look at that connector. I am always a little apprehensive when cutting into a wiring harness, but figured with wires going in and none coming out...
I cut the tape to remove the connector and sure enough it was a capped end. I plugged the one connector (of two) from the Navigator mount and it works as described.
As for that second connector for the horn. For uses of driver awareness the horn is laughable, but for animal awareness this thing works great.
Thanks for the replies.
Patrick

Back