• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Don't buy insurance from a green lizzard

Ken F

IBA #44567
There has been a discussion going on for several days on the LD rider list about Geico Insurence Company.

Basicly, what it boils down to is that if you ride your bike over 500 miles in one day and then have an accident, they can deny your claim.

It also seems that in some states there is a possibility that if you use a radar detector on your bike, you are also eligible for cancelation/denial of claims.

Check your policies!

The word is that Progressive and Dairyland don't have any of these exclusions.

Yep, thats what my policy says but I can't ride over 200 miles before my back is killing me so I am not going to worry about it

I thought the Geico exclusion was only for contests which call for riding more than 500 miles in a day.

My policy reads: "(e) any contest which sanctions continuous riding
for 24 or more hours and/or mileage accumulation
in excess of 500 miles per 24 hour period."

I suppose, reading this again, both fall under "contest which sanctions". So if I am riding over 500 miles in a day just on a whim then I'm covered. Never did over 500 miles and doubt I ever will.

geico has always been anti-radar detector. which is why, even though i don't use an RD, i would not do business with them.

ian

Cheap

I use the company which will give me the cheapest premiums for the coverage. When I rode only vintage bikes, I used Hagerty now I use GEICO. I also use a radar detector.

Old news

I have 6 vehicles insured through GEICO and all of them have detectors.

I had to do a google search to find out if GEICO refuses coverage to people who own radar detectors. It was not in my policy statements and the internet only showed that GEICO tried to pull this in Maryland and that the Insurance Institute stopped them from doing it. If any of you have better information, post it.

Until then, I will regard it as an urban legend.

I have 6 vehicles insured through GEICO and all of them have detectors.

I had to do a google search to find out if GEICO refuses coverage to people who own radar detectors. It was not in my policy statements and the internet only showed that GEICO tried to pull this in Maryland and that the Insurance Institute stopped them from doing it. If any of you have better information, post it.

Until then, I will regard it as an urban legend.

I learned in 31+ years handling claims that if there is no exclusion in the policy sent to you, they can't deny coverage. The state insurance departments are real picky about what can and cannot be denied. When you have a problem, a call to the Bureau of Insurance can move mountains.

I'm sorry, I misposted that. The radar detector questions were either verbal or on an application form. If you admitted to owning one, they would deny you coverage.

And yes, the exclusion states being involved in any contest or event which involves riding over 500 miles in 24 hours.

Pretty much voids any IBA ride and many rallys.

I would hazzard a guess that anyone riding their bike over 500 miles in one day could also be denied coverage.

I would hazzard a guess that anyone riding their bike over 500 miles in one day could also be denied coverage.

No, you are wrong. Policy exclusions are very specific because the general rule in contract law is that any ambiguity is held against the proponent (in this case the insurance company), and most states have severe penalty provisions on the companies for improperly denying valid claims. The GEICO exclusion is specific to sanctioned contest rides some of which are infamous for killing riders.

I wouldn't by a candy-bar from Geico. Back in the 80's (early 90's?) Car and Driver did a piece on how Geico was providing grants to local police forces to allow them to purchase traffic enforcement equipment (radar guns and the like).

The lizard can go screw.

Geico was providing grants to local police forces to allow them to purchase traffic enforcement equipment (radar guns and the like).

Seems reasonable to me. I think traffic enforcement is a good thing, even if I do occasionally break the rules myself.

Green Lizards suck!
I'm happy with USAA and have been for over thirty years. Great service and rates.

Seems reasonable to me. I think traffic enforcement is a good thing, even if I do occasionally break the rules myself.

It is the selective enforcement that I have an issue with. Hell I wish they would enforce certain traffic laws that have more to do with safety than just cherry picking speeders all day long .in the name of "Safety"

Rick G

Where's the cop when you need him?

yakking on the cellphone, balancing a dog in their lap and putting on their eye shadow all at the same time. I hate them!

It is cost effective for an insurance company to donate radar detectors to police departments. It is like giving themselves a raise. Get a ticket or two for 10 over the limit and watch your rates go up.

Back