• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cruiserworks Lady Side Zip

empeg9000

My riding companion is looking for some riding boots. She only rides as the pillion. She does not care for the industrial look on my Alpinestar Web boots. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with Cruiserworks boots or more specifically the Lady side Zip. I know its a new boot, I guess the zipper used to be in the front. I would appreciate any comments and other womans boot suggestions. I tried doing a search and Specter Road came up but they appear to be out of business. She is not interested in the Harley Lace up boots.

Waterproof?

Just make sure whatever she buys is waterproof. I rode for about a decade wearing boy's motocross boots because nothing else was available back then. Ever tried buying motorcycle boots in ladies size 6, which is men's size 4? Finally I found a pair of BMW labelled boots in my size. They are side zip, mid calf waterproof boots! What a difference it makes to ride with dry feet. Worth every cent.

Holly

I wouldn't buy Cruiserworks.

I bought a pair of Cruiserworks' men's tour boots around eight years ago. I wore them for a while but don't wear them anymore. Cruiserworks boots are well made. They are very comfortable. You could walk all day in them. They're also waterproof, at least as far as water seeping in though the leather is concerned. They also look good in jeans. Polish them up and they'd look good with dress khakis. At a glance you'd swear they're fairly dressy small soled boots. They could pass for the dressy black ropers I often wear at my office with dress pants and a sport jacket.

But I have two issues with Cruiserworks boots. The first is that they have no armor. And I mean none. Nothing up the shin, and nothing around the ankle. If you or your lady companion value protection of any sort (other than water protection) then don't get them. And that's true for all the Cruiserworks boots as they all have the same basic construction.

My second issue, related to protection, is that Cruiserworks boots have very little to zero retention. If you have an accident and go down, the boots will come off and your feet will be exposed. That's particularly true for the tour boots which are pull on. But its as true for the zip boots as the zipper makes them easier to put on, but it doesn't improve the retention. The only Cruiserworks boot with retention are their lace up boots. The lack of retention also hurts the waterproof nature of the boot, since water will definitely get to your foot from the fairly loose fitting at the top of the boot around the calf. DAMHIK!

My bottom line: Cruiserworks are good looking, comfy, and the leather will keep water out. But they are not remotely legitimate motorcycle gear. If that's the look at feel that your lady friend wants, you'd be doing better to spend a fraction of the money and buy a pair of solid black Red Wing pull on work boots. In fact, I know a number of folks who've done just that.

BTW, boots don't have to have that "industrial" look to be legitimate motorcycle boots. TCX, BMW, Sidi, etc..., and etc..., make legitimate touring boots that are solid black and don't have a squidly/Speed Racer-type look to them.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Last edited:
I appreciate the comments

Mistercindy I hear where you are coming from and I worry about ankle protection myself. I passed along my concerns. Cruiser works does claim there is some ankle protection. I hadn't really thought about the retention. I suppose if she wants them, and I order them I will give them a yank test. She just hasn't liked anything else I've shown her except the Diadora Donna Boot but she doesn't want something with that big of a heal.

Cruiser works does claim there is some ankle protection.
LOL! :laugh Emphasis on the word "some"! :laugh Its a specious claim. I was curious and looked at mine last night. It is a little bit thicker around the ankle. It feels like Cruiserworks has an extra layer of leather or some material sewn between the liner and the outer leather on the ankle. But its very little. It may help if, while walking, you whack your ankle on the side of a wall. But for purposes of a moving fall on asphalt, or having a 500+ lb machine fall on it, there is effectively nothing there.

I hadn't really thought about the retention. I suppose if she wants them, and I order them I will give them a yank test.
Part of Cruiserworks' comfort is the incredibly soft inner lining of the boot. I'm not sure what they do to the material, but its very soft and slips on and off easily. And I mean slips. It may pass a "yank" test, but there is no way that boot is staying on with extremities bouncing around a highway.

She just hasn't liked anything else I've shown her except the Diadora Donna Boot but she doesn't want something with that big of a heal.
I'm probably fixin' to butt in where I'm not wanted, but IMHO she needs to be told that if she's going on a motorcycle her first concern should be retention. IMHO, the biggest requirement is that the boot must stay on during a get down. Secondly, it must be made of a material that'll withstand a slide on pavement. After those two requirements you ask how much protection you want. Touring boots can have less. Motocross and racing boots have a lot. But within those two essentials, retention and material, there are a lot of boots out there, including non-motorcycle boots.

Does it have to be a "motorcycle" boot? There is the option of using a hiking kind of boot as well, they are rugged and provide significant ankle protection and retention is not an issue.

While I have touring boots, riding boots for going to work, on weekends I mostly just put on the hiking boots.

Does it have to be a "motorcycle" boot? There is the option of using a hiking kind of boot as well, they are rugged and provide significant ankle protection and retention is not an issue.

While I have touring boots, riding boots for going to work, on weekends I mostly just put on the hiking boots.
No it doesn't as log as it's high enough that she can tuck it up in her riding pants to help keep the rain out.

cruiser Boots

These were my first 'good' riding boots and they are truly waterproof. If you saw my side zip boots, you couldn't believe they are still rideable. I agree, and I am looking for a little more rugged but must be side zip and there aren't many avaliable. Will they pull off on a bad get off?, all equipment is a trade-off. Cruiser boots have been good for me and I may end up with another pair.

Back