• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can you help identify this R1200RT part?

steve1200rt

Can you help identify this '07 R1200RT part?

While removing the front headlight nacelle on my '07 R1200RT, I found a part on the garage floor and have no clue as to where it goes! It appears to be a vent tube, for lack of a better description. There are two, identical to this third one that I found, on the rear of the headlight assembly (forgot to take a picture before reassembling), about 1/4" from the side parking light bulbs, one on each side. I suspect they are "breather hole covers" to help prevent condensation inside the clear housing for the 5 lights: 2 parking, 2 headlights, 1 high-beam. It's made of soft rubber, is hollow.
But where does this third one belong?!
IMG_5317.jpg

Last edited:
That is a vent tube. I believe it lets condensation out of the headlight assembly (as you said). You should put it back on if you ever ride in the rain! :)

I am looking at my RepROM now to see if I can find all 3 of them...

Cars use similar vents so maybe you can find one that fits. Also check m-c and auto boneyards.

pete

That is a vent tube. I believe it lets condensation out of the headlight assembly (as you said). You should put it back on if you ever ride in the rain! :)

I am looking at my RepROM now to see if I can find all 3 of them...

Thanks, everyone! It sure makes sense to me, that it's a vent, since I see 2 more on the low beams. However, I see NO fitting to accept this third vent tube, even on the high beam section of the assembly. I hesitate to take it apart again until I know exactly where it goes. I don't know what a RepROM is, but if it shows a diagram of the location of this 3rd vent, then I'm VERY interested! I'm assuming that I'm looking for a vent hole, molded into the headlight assembly, that is the same diameter as the rubber vent tube. (It's not a pinhole, is it?) With the assembly on my workbench, under bright shop lights, my glasses on, I was unable to determine the location.

A picture or diagram would sure be nice!

steve

Last edited:
Back